slits in conti gp 4000s

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited March 2014 in Road general
After getting a puncture again in my conti's i checked them over when I got home and noticed a few slits about 5-6mm long in them.took them right off and noticed that the slits go right through to the inside.is this normal or has the tyre had it(hope not only 1000 miles or so on them)anyway just to be sure I stuck patches over the slits on the inside just for an extra bit of security. Good idea or not or does anyone else do things like this.

been getting a few punctures lately with these tyres lately after a good reliable start with them.only really started since the slits started to appear, anybody else find this problem?
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• If you have slits in those tyres you have clearly ridden over some unusually sharp stuff. Not rocket science really.

You have several choices.
    1. Keep riding them. Do this if you think slits and punctures are not connected, or you think they might be but do not mind crashing.
    2. Try to repair them with your grannies knickers, superglue, a gel wrapper, or whatever other madcap scheme is suggested on an Internet forum by an "expert". It may work, but you never know if the person suggesting it is a believer in suggestion 1. above.
    2. Change them for a different make because you think they are not slit resistant enough for where you ride. Be aware that if you do this you may end up in the same position you were before, but your new tyres from "insert tyre manufacturer name here" also get slits.
    3. Change them for another set of the same tyres because you think you might have caused the problem where you ride.
    4. Lash out a few quid off a new set of tyres and sleep well.

Really tough decision. :D
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    :lol: got a pair of 25mm gatorskins on the cheap so they might get the nod.....so option 4 LD :lol:

whats the views on rolling resistance on 25mm over 23mm.read reports that 25mm are actually faster but yet to find out . probably will do soon :P :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    :lol: got a pair of 25mm gatorskins on the cheap so they might get the nod.....so option 4 LD :lol:

whats the views on rolling resistance on 25mm over 23mm.read reports that 25mm are actually faster but yet to find out . probably will do soon :P :P

In the real world you will notice no measurable difference in speed between an equivalent 23mm and 25mm tyre.