Selle SLR saddle.

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
SI-SLR9-K-ANGLE.jpg

The above picture shows precisely the saddle im asking about and none of the other variants with cutouts or different materials. What appeals to me is the fact that this saddle is totally flat and doesn't have a rise at the rear which I feel on some other saddle types can push a rider forward. Id be very interested to hear from riders who use this type of saddle or have decided it wasn't for them. How does this saddle fare for a rider who isn't into racing and aggressive positions on the bike, and is it the kind of perch you could ride for 85 miles in comfort or would that be unrealistic ?

Its a terrific and simple design that I think looks killer on a bike, if it wasn't a bum number and didn't cause abrasion of the taint then I might give one a go. I know saddles are totally personal and one riders settee is anothers paving slab, but id like to hear from those whose love their SLR and those who found that it just didn't work out.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have one. After a 70 mile ride I lost all feeling in my dick for 2 weeks (no joke). I don't like having to pee sitting down.

I now use a Toupes on all my bikes. Just as flat, stiffer (S-Works) and a cut-out. Also, they actually weigh what they're claimed to which is not something you'll find with Selle Italia.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    I have a SLR saddle .. best one I have tried todate. Had a toupe.. good for an hour then sit bones so painful. had a flite .. no feeling for two days down below .. Have an arione, pretty good. SLR seems to be the best. Just shows that saddles one mans honey is another's poison.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I had the XP version of the SLR and hated it. It just didn't suit me at all and put pressure in all of the wrong places. After a couple of hours, I couldn't wait to get off it. I have pretty narrow sit bones (100mm) and now use a Toupe. I also get on well with the 134mm Prologo Nago Evo.
  • Serious Cat
    Grill wrote:
    I have one. After a 70 mile ride I lost all feeling in my dick for 2 weeks (no joke)..

Is this really for real :shock:
  • Serious Cat
    edited March 2014
    Billy Mansell saw your bottom bracket post encouraging trying to create arguments here.

Grills numb pecker story isn't a great start for me wanting try the SLR out.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have an SLR and it's fine even though I have no padding on my backside, been using it for over a year now.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    had one years ago, wasn't right for my ar$e, sold it.
  • Got two of these. I ride up to 8 hours without any problems.
    Saddle fit is personal though.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Grill wrote:
    I have one. After a 70 mile ride I lost all feeling in my dick for 2 weeks (no joke)..

Is this really for real :shock:

100% genuine bro. Really scared me, but luckily feeling started to return when I was considering a trip to the docs. Worst part was checking 100 times a day to make sure my bits were still attached.

Not everyone needs a cut-out, but those of us who do, really need it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I tried one of these during a recent bike fit - it numbed my dick but other than that was comfortable on my arse. Have gone for basically the same design but with a cut out hoping that will solve the problem. If it doesn't I will be back to the drawing board......
  • Serious Cat
    Are there any rail & seatpost compatibility issues to be wary of ? My post is a Thompson elite.
  • Serious Cat
    DKay wrote:
    I had the XP version of the SLR and hated it. It just didn't suit me at all and put pressure in all of the wrong places. After a couple of hours, I couldn't wait to get off it. I have pretty narrow sit bones (100mm) and now use a Toupe. I also get on well with the 134mm Prologo Nago Evo.

When you say pressure in wrong places whereabouts are you referring too ? On the nuts, on the taint etc ?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Are there any rail & seatpost compatibility issues to be wary of ? My post is a Thompson elite.
    I use a Thomson Masterpiece seat post with the SLR, no problems to date.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've used Selle SLR flow saddles for years, I did use a standard slr for a week or two and that went on eBay because I found it uncomfortable.
    Then again I tried a toupe for about a month and I found that the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever used in 20 years, despite the cut out.
  • I've tried many saddles and many fit systems, all bar Fizik spine conscept says I should be on 143mm saddle but anything over a couple of hour resulted in soreness\chaffing and through experimenting I now know I suit a narrow saddle. The Arione CX was a "nearly right" saddle for me, but in testing the Arione R3 it gave me a condition like Grill so tiny differences can make a massive difference. Tried an SLR Xp next and Eureka! took a couple of rides for the biofoam to mold to me, so had to adjust the level a couple of times, but has been perfect since and can actually plan long rides knowing I'm not going to be in pain afterwards.
  • Serious Cat
    marshall_a wrote:
    I've tried many saddles and many fit systems, all bar Fizik spine conscept says I should be on 143mm saddle but anything over a couple of hour resulted in soreness\chaffing and through experimenting I now know I suit a narrow saddle. The Arione CX was a "nearly right" saddle for me, but in testing the Arione R3 it gave me a condition like Grill so tiny differences can make a massive difference. Tried an SLR Xp next and Eureka! took a couple of rides for the biofoam to mold to me, so had to adjust the level a couple of times, but has been perfect since and can actually plan long rides knowing I'm not going to be in pain afterwards.

Tip of the slr down, level or up for you ?
  • marshall_a wrote:
    I've tried many saddles and many fit systems, all bar Fizik spine conscept says I should be on 143mm saddle but anything over a couple of hour resulted in soreness\chaffing and through experimenting I now know I suit a narrow saddle. The Arione CX was a "nearly right" saddle for me, but in testing the Arione R3 it gave me a condition like Grill so tiny differences can make a massive difference. Tried an SLR Xp next and Eureka! took a couple of rides for the biofoam to mold to me, so had to adjust the level a couple of times, but has been perfect since and can actually plan long rides knowing I'm not going to be in pain afterwards.

Tip of the slr down, level or up for you ?

Tip\front half is 2degrees up, rear half level, front to back about 1 degree up, this is after > 5,000km on it so well worn in.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I tried a max flite gel flow, not a bad saddle but two had construction issues so they went back. My previous saddle didn't have a cut out and I got numb mans bits. (nothing permanent)

I now use a Selle SMP Lite 209, its got a massive cut out and quite a curve. I like it, it suits me.

Selle-SMP-Lite-209-Performance-Saddles-Black-Lite-209-Black-0.jpg
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    DKay wrote:

When you say pressure in wrong places whereabouts are you referring too ? On the nuts, on the taint etc ?

It was uncomfortable on my actual sit bones. I found it really unyielding, but unsupportive at the same time, despite it being the supposedly more padded XP version. It was also really slippy. I'd move around on it all over the shop during the ride, to try and fine a sweet spot, but to no avail.

I does look good though and it's very light.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    The SLR is very narrow. I bought it because it was very light but it put all pressure on the nerves and blood vessels rather than the sit bones. Specialized Romin 143mm on all my bikes now.
  • Serious Cat
    The SLR is very narrow. I bought it because it was very light but it put all pressure on the nerves and blood vessels rather than the sit bones. Specialized Romin 143mm on all my bikes now.

That's interesting, I know the SLR is very fla,t so how did you find pressure being exerted between bum and nuts in a kind of sitting on a cricket ball fashion.
    You ever get any sag with the Romin or feel like you are sitting on two metal rods ? ive read these observations though its a nice looking perch.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047

That's interesting, I know the SLR is very fla,t so how did you find pressure being exerted between bum and nuts in a kind of sitting on a cricket ball fashion.
    You ever get any sag with the Romin or feel like you are sitting on two metal rods ? ive read these observations though its a nice looking perch.

The Romin looks pretty good, I have the Body Geometry Riva Plus but still get numb nuts on long rides. How does it compare?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use 2 x SLRs on the winter bike and the fast summer trainer: fautless. Many hours and years spent with them and no problems at all. Withstand falling over, rain, etc etc.

The only thing to watch out for is that on the carbon railed version the rails are fatter and do not fit Ritchey WCS seat posts from 3 years ago - not sure re other makes of seat posts but worth noting.

No weight difference between carbon and ti railed 135g seats by the way and the weights quoted are correct on my two.

£40 odd from Planet X in the sales so not too bad

I also use a Selle Italia CX Zero (the full carbon 80g job) on the good bike: absolutely no issues at all as well. I wouldn't pay full retail though (something silly like £399 - ridiculous) - I got mine from Planet X in the sales for £70 odd.

HTH
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The only thing to watch out for is that on the carbon railed version the rails are fatter and do not fit Ritchey WCS seat posts from 3 years ago - not sure re other makes of seat posts but worth noting.

Two bolt Ritchey seatposts are fine with carbon railed saddles, if you get a one bolt Ritchey seatpost you'll require a larger Ritchey rail clamp which are roughly a tenner from Wiggle.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm onto my econd SLR now - first one the base cracked when i knocked the bike over (was a bit annoyed, but then some muppet bought it on eBay even though I sold it as damaged!). Latest one is the carbon railed version, has been in a couple of crashes and one side looks like its been attacked by a shark but still comfy as you like. Maybe I'm not too pickythough - also get on well with the Flite on my commuter. Turnbo saddles still my favourite if I need to go without padded shorts though.
  • beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    I have the XP on my winter bike and another 3 of the new style Kit Carbonios on my other bikes and I have to say the new ones are just perfect, for me. Superb saddles in my opinion
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Slr flow is my saddle of choice

each to their own
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    SLR is perfect for me. I previously used toupe in 130 width, so maybe it helps if you have narrow sit bones.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    saddles without cutouts do not suit those who like me spend alot of time on the drops. i.e the longer the saddle to hander drop the bigger cut out you need.

Also the SLR seat pictured is an S1 and suits a smaller frame generally 6ft folk need a wider seat base like the L designated saddles. This way of selecting saddles actually works.

For me a 6ft1 and 80kg which gives you an idea of my build an L2 or L3 saddle works best that is a Flyte flow or the SLR jobie with the huge cutout both work very well. All the S saddles I have tried are fine but for shorter rides.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.