Campy Zonda problem (poss return?)

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited March 2014 in Workshop
A quick question given the knowledge of people here.

Bought some Zonda's a month ago, put them on 2 weeks ago (4/5 rides), however when the bike was in for a service the mechanic noticed that the rear cone is loose.

Now the retailer wants nothing to do with it saying that it is my responsibility to look after it. But the mechanic and I both believe that the cone shouldn't be in this state, and that it will only get worse.

Not quite sure on my rights with this before I argue red with the shop (not that that helps much) or should I just put them in under warranty?

Cheers
Iain
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    just tighten the cone
  • Flâneur
    I appreciate that, however the mechanic suggested it shouldn't have happened and that it will just be endless tightening hence the query. Rather not keep hold of a product that isn't what should have been sold.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    User serviceable cup and cone hubs like your Campag can occasionally loosen and it's a really simple job to tighten them up again. These modern Campag hubs have a locking collar that screws down onto the cone and bearing and can even be adjusted while wheel is still in the frame. It's also really easy to unscrew the locking collar and cone, remove the axle and freehub, clean and re-lube the bearings and put it all back. Gives a much longer life than most cartridge bearing hubs.

I recommend having a go rather than leaving it to a mechanic. As for your mechanic's claim that it will be endless tightening from now on, I haven't got a clue what he's on about. With a little maintenance your hub will last for years like my very similar Campag Record hubs. A little bit of play may crop up from time to time. That's a sign they need a service. Make sure the locking collar is on tight when you finish adjusting.

You don't have any case to argue with the original retailer. This is not a manufacturing defect - just a bit of bad luck that they loosened off. However, if there was a lot of play and you rode many miles like that, that might cause some damage to cups, cones and bearings. But I feel you would have noticed this if it had been that loose.
  • Flâneur
    Cheers Mercia, what I needed to here. I'll go google to see how it is done so I know for future :)
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    And if it's not the cones, and the cassette is wiggling about, it's quite a quick fix to do new bearings.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west