Buying advice please

Biffo 101
Biffo 101 Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
My son is planning to ride down to Brighton in a charity ride in June and suggested he use my old Giant OCR 3. I have advised that he purchases his own road bike. He enjoys cycling and plans to continue to ride after the event.
He is on a very tight budget. I have suggested a Felt F95 from wiggle @ £399.00.
He has shown an interest in a Halfords Carrera Zelos limited edition 2014 @ £269.00. Has anyone experience with either bike that can give a good review of the pro’s and con’s of either machine.
Many thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Buy the Carrera, they make excellent bikes, save the money and feel smug that you didn't pay loadsamoney for a name just to impress other people.

Seriously Carrera are really good bikes but if he can afford the Felt it does have a more expensive groupset hence the higher price.
  • Thank you both for your comments, I will pass these on. My preference would be for the Felt purely because of the group set. No doubt my son will have to make up his own mind.
    Once again thank you for your comments.
    :D
  • They are both pretty good in terms of value for money, but obviously the more expensive Felt will be a better bike.

One advantage of the Carrera is that it will be easier to get any problems sorted out as you can take it to any Halfords branch. On the other hand the Zelos uses a 7 speed freewheel drivetrain compared to the 9 speed cassette system on the Felt, so the Zelos will be more difficult to upgrade at a later date.
  • "On the other hand the Zelos uses a 7 speed freewheel drivetrain compared to the 9 speed cassette system on the Felt, so the Zelos will be more difficult to upgrade at a later date".

You make a very good point there, certainly one that I had not thought of. My son has indicated he would like to continue with Road riding post event. Looks to be another tick in the box in favour of the Felt.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'd go for the Felt, no hesitation.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • vineland
    vineland Posts: 13
    I own a Felt f75.
    It is good.