South Downs Way First timer

cadders1980
cadders1980 Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Routes
Hi,
I am hoping someone can offer me some advise on cycling SDW from east to west.
My wife and i are hoping to do it in 2 days...any suggestions on what we should hope to achieve on day 1 and a point of aim to be at would be a great start. Both pretty fit and not afraid of putting in the work but not pros either. TBF im getting to be more of a roadie these days !! :shock:
Hoping to pick a weekend in June and get it done...any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A lot of people do it in one day, so impossible to advise you on what you should "hope to achieve". Amberley is about halfway if you want to stop off.

It's dreadful in the wet, so June is a good shout. It's very up and down, IMO there's not as much climbing as many 100 mile offroad rides, but there's very little flat, and a few grovelly climbs made worse by the terrain being so open.

The wind is more likely to be against you doing E-W, but the toughest hills are all at the start, from QECP to Winchester is much more rolling.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel is at about 40 miles in going East to West... but, when going West-East I'd say it was roughly half way in terms of 'effort'. Devils Dyke to Eastbourne is a lot of climbing. It may feel a bit different heading out from Eastbourne, and it would leave a long distance on day 2... but worth a thought.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Thanks, someone suggested staying at Houghton to split the trip....any suggestions of b&b at start in Eastbourne so we can get early start.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Alot of 2 dayers ride a 65/35 split to get a big day in on day one.

If you're doing it East to West I'd tend to go for a 50/50 as you'll hit the biggest climbs on day 1.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/