mavic crossride and conti MK2 tubeless problems

bonneol1
bonneol1 Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all,
I just received my new Canyon Spectral 6.0.
One of the few changes I did was to go tubeless. I used Stan's kit and did the front tyre without problems. the back one just didn't want to sit in so I took it to the shop. So it's some Mavic crossride (27.5) and Continental mountain king 2 which are both listed online as being tubeless ready.
The guy at the shop said that those rims were cheap and not made for tubeless and that continental (and maxxis) tyres weren't either. He removed the nice yellow strip in the tyre for tape and managed to inflate (at a more than expected price of course).
is there something I missed? Is he right or should I try to find a new LBS?
thanks

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Crossrides aren't tubeless-ready. They need to be taped or have a proper tubeless strip installed. The tyre probably isn't tubeless-ready either, but that makes less difference as half the point of Stan's kits is that you can use them to make regular tyres tubeless. The only thing is that Conti tyres are usually the hardest to set up in this way.
  • bonneol1
    bonneol1 Posts: 12
    thanks for the info, I don't know where I read they were tubeless ready. Good to know he's right and I'm wrong then!
    The 2 wheels are converted now, should I be worried?
    Should I fit the tube back? First time going tubeless and wrong straight away, don;t really want to be wheel-less during a ride!
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    No need to fit tubes, just make sure to have a spare on rides. Tubeless isn't completely bombproof.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Protection Mountain King II's are tubeless ready. The bead is designed to be run tubeless but the casing still require sealant to be air tight. I don't find Continental's any harder to setup tubeless than any other tyre.

What tape did he put in, just normal electrical tape? That's worse than the yellow tape that was already installed, assuming it was the Stan's etc. yellow tubeless tape and not just some tape that was yellow. If he was going to replace it with something more suitable it should have been a rubber rim strip.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The guy in the shop must have some form of tubeless strip or there would be no valve......

CR's are most definitely not tubeless ready, doesn't make them cheap, though they are not a particularly expensive rim either! (317 from memory - but I'm old and forgetful, though not as old or forgetful as CD!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    The guy in the shop must have some form of tubeless strip or there would be no valve......

CR's are most definitely not tubeless ready, doesn't make them cheap, though they are not a particularly expensive rim either! (317 from memory - but I'm old and forgetful, though not as old or forgetful as CD!)
    You may still have the memory, but I still have the wit, charm, looks and intelligence.
    And hair.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

You may still have the memory, but I still have the wit, charm, looks and intelligence.
    And hair.
    And I still have working eyesight and hearing which may explain your delusions.......and I still have hair (the same colour as I had 25 years ago)!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You went grey early? How sad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That'll be your eyesite again then thinking that golden barnet is grey......