which road bike

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi at present riding a Boardman hybrid comp with richey ocr rims great bike but after about 25mls start getting uncomfortable ie hands are numb (no carbon forks) so looking for a more upright comfortable road bike have between £800 -£1900 to spend here is my short list
Giant defy advanced 2 £1900
Giant defy composite 1 or 2 £1600 and £1300
Giant defy 0 £1200
Canyon roadlite AL 7.0 or 6.0 £1200 and £900
Specialized Roubaix elite or sport £1900 and £1600
Boardman road pro carbon slr £1800
Boardman pro carbon or team £1300 and £1000
I weigh 110 kg coming down weekly due to the biking so need good strong wheels need reviews on the above bikes and any other suggestions would be kindly received or do I go secondhand on a good bike ? many thanks for any replys

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Bit of a varied budget.... I'm about 100kg, a bit heavier now though as been injured for the last 3 months and not been able to ride :(

I have a Canyon Ultimate AL9.0 which came with Mavic Kysrium Equipes, they broke after about 10 months, the rim of the rear wheel cracked at a spoke nipple and the spoke nipple ripped a hole in the rim.... I now use Open Pro's on 105 hubs, which are 32 spoke and are still in perfect condition after about 4000 miles.

I find the Canyon very comfortable to ride and highly recommend it.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    What do you want to use it for? - i.e. general fitness cycling, commuting, sportives, triathlons?
    Do you want to mount mudguards?

I think all the bikes on your list are good bikes.
    If you know what size you want and how to set up your position then Canyon would be a good bet. The Boardman bikes look good in this price range too. You probably don't want wheels with low spoke counts as these will tend to be less durable.
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 109
    thanks guys for the info I will be keeping boardman which have mudgards on for rainy days and new bike for nice weather days so mudgards not needed I will be using bike for general fitness so canyon roadlite and ultimate AL 9.0 ok ?
  • lgcbiking
    lgcbiking Posts: 34
    Looking for a bike myself, on the lower end of your budget, and whittled it down to the entry-level canyon or rose. I think higher-end options of either of those would work very well, good value for money in terms of components, with nice looking (and light) frames... The Rose is also completely customizable, so you could add a nice set of wheels too.