I have £2000 for a road bike, which one....

2»

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I like them green cubes with sram force too.
    Lovevelo in Darley Abbey near Derby have been really good with me and are my first choice lbs now. Rich will spend the time on fitting you and at a time to suit you if needs be. Sells Cervelo, Neil Pryde, Lapierre or Ded and can get a few others.
    I'm a fan of PlanetX too, always had good service from them and worth a trip plus you'll be amazed at the lack of service compared to PlanetX.
    Deda Gladiatores are nice with cash to spare for better wheels.
    A few De Rosa R838 Athenas about in sales too making them on budget.
    For 2k I could sort you something very smart out with a bit of looking around for nice bits. Its easier to go frame and components than you think and the result would be better than anything bought as a complete bike at that price.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • galatzo
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Galatzo wrote:

Or you could buy a Ribble R872 which is exactly the same frame. Spec it with full Ultegra and still have £150 left over for some nice upgrade bits. It would't be second hand either. The De Rose R838 is waaaay overpriced considering it's an open mould Chinese frame that can be bought for as little as £300.
  • galatzo
    Didn't notice it was e-demo.
    Lets not start the whole open mould thing though.
    Yes De Rosa's are expensive unless you get a sale model but the look of a bike is very important in making you want to get out and ride.
    I like the Ribble version of it but I'd much rather have the De Rosa R838 Athena and I'm not a fan of mid-life crisis red either, it just looks nice.
    That said the Avant sale bikes on Wiggle are nice for about £1100 which will leave plenty for good wheels ar other bits.
  • I thought that the idea that the R838 and the Ribble R872 were exactly the same frame had been found to be not true? Anyway, let's face facts, choosing a bike is 90% a willy waving contest - how much are you prepared to spend on your bike? Everyone knows it, some admit it, some play along with the charade that shaving 50g off the seatpost is essential to their riding style, or that a hand built frame really is unique to them.

What is an open mould frame exactly, and how does it differ from an... erm... closed mould frame?
  • davefox
    davefox Posts: 47
    Slo Mo Jones, my understanding of "open moulds" is that they make a frame or part in China, and sell it to many different companies for them to re-brand it and sell it as their own.
    Moda Stretto
    Haro Flightline Expert
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    DKay wrote:
    Galatzo wrote:

Or you could buy a Ribble R872 which is exactly the same frame. Spec it with full Ultegra and still have £150 left over for some nice upgrade bits. It would't be second hand either. The De Rose R838 is waaaay overpriced considering it's an open mould Chinese frame that can be bought for as little as £300.

...or the Gran Fondo for a slightly more relaxed feel. I priced one of these up with Campag Chrous and it was just under £2000.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • davefox wrote:
    Slo Mo Jones, my understanding of "open moulds" is that they make a frame or part in China, and sell it to many different companies for them to re-brand it and sell it as their own.

Ah. I thought it was a manufacturing process.
  • galatzo
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Tempted by British made titanium?!
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/

TBH I recommend any bike that makes you want to ride it - they're all plenty good enough at this level. Do budget 3-500 for new wheels and a bike fit