Advice on underwear

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I normally wear my hipster type, close fitting boxers but these have a tendacy to ride up and can be very uncomfortable. So what do you use and what can you recommend?

Cheers
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Underwear??? Noooooo - just no!! :(

Seriously - padded cycling shorts should absolutely not have anything underneath
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    If you must wear something under your shorts, swin trunks do the job pretty well ...
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Under cycling shorts? Nothing, obviously.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As mentioned above wearing anything under your proper padded shorts / tights is very uncomfortable after a reasonable distance.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The OP has got to be pleased (as it sounds like it might be a revelation to him), as a road cyclist not only do you get to ride around in spandex, you get to do it with no pants on.

Isn't cycling just the best!
  • Thanks a lot for the replies. I honestly thought that I needed to wear something underneath, hence why some manufacturers sell cycling specific underwear.

Ta very much.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Stating the obvious perhaps but hygiene is very important hence always wash thoroughly before donning the bib shorts and use chamois creme which provides both lubrication to prevent chaffing and anti-bacterial properties.

Peter
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Commando, it's the only way ! Trust us, you'll enjoy the freedom and lack of chafing.

Just remember one thing though, Lycra can thin as it ages, so if you're wearing shorts which are a few years old check that the a4se hasn't gone see through when stretched over your a4se. It's not overly pleasant for who ever is following you :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mfin wrote:
    The OP has got to be pleased (as it sounds like it might be a revelation to him), as a road cyclist not only do you get to ride around in spandex, you get to do it with no pants on.

Isn't cycling just the best!

You forgot to mention chamois creme and leg shaving :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I honestly thought that I needed to wear something underneath, hence why some manufacturers sell cycling specific underwear.

Ta very much.

The reason for 'cycling specific' underwear is so that you can wear it under jeans, baggy shorts, etc. There is no need to wear it under padded lycra, because it is not necessary, for obvious reasons. Padded cycle shorts are designed to be worn next to the skin.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Deffo commando with cycling shorts. You dont want material rumpling up and rubbing you.
  • What is this chamois cream fixation? Are you sure you are not becoming a little too fond of the application process? :oops:

With a properly fitted saddle, and Lycra that fits in the right places there should be no chafing! That's the whole point of the Lycra!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    padded shorts are the underwear.
    You can wear them on their own or under any unpadded longs.
    Cycling underwear can also be used under any unpadded longs.
    Padded longs are worn without underwear

Any padded items should be washed after every ride.

I wear normal cotton Y-front with polycotton cargo pants for most rides up 1 1/2 .hrs.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Commando is the usual advice. However, I prefer to wear undercrackers. M&S do elastane Autograph pants, which crucially arent cotton, and I can happily do 100 km+ without chaffing
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What is this chamois cream fixation? Are you sure you are not becoming a little too fond of the application process? :oops:

With a properly fitted saddle, and Lycra that fits in the right places there should be no chafing! That's the whole point of the Lycra!

I still use chamois cream for longer rides or off-road stuff - you mightbe suprised how much difference it can make. It is still possible to chafe, regardless of how comfortable you may be on your chosen saddle, in your chosen shorts.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    What is this chamois cream fixation? Are you sure you are not becoming a little too fond of the application process? :oops:

Are you trying to tell us you never tried the stuff that tingles after application?? You're such a big fibber!! :lol::lol:
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Sales of chamois cream seems to be on the increase due to the rise in Overweight MAMIL's.
  • Well, I am a MAMIL, only 10kg overweight, I ride about 200km a week and I have NEVER had even the slightest chafe so have never, and will never use chamois cream.

Clearly I am of such a unique design that it is impossible for me to chafe.

If I need a little tingle after a ride there are much better alternatives. :wink:
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905

Are you trying to tell us you never tried the stuff that tingles after application?? You're such a big fibber!! :lol::lol:

Or, if you're me, you'll try the Assos cream just before a ride and have to jump in the shower because menthol and I do not mix. Owch!
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I honestly thought that I needed to wear something underneath, hence why some manufacturers sell cycling specific underwear.

Ta very much.

The reason for 'cycling specific' underwear is so that you can wear it under jeans, baggy shorts, etc. There is no need to wear it under padded lycra, because it is not necessary, for obvious reasons. Padded cycle shorts are designed to be worn next to the skin.

That makes sense really, cheers bud :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408

An enthusiastic application process is key to getting the most of chamois cream :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved