Trailer - recommendations for son that's too tall!

Eowihi
Eowihi Posts: 2
Hello! I was wondering if you could help me? I currently have the trailer shown here:

2rpp6kw.jpg

I've not had it that long and already my four year old son is too tall to sit in it. :sad: I purchased it second-hand, without any instructions, but I've seen loads of them on eBay and they don't appear to have a brand name. I was looking to get another trailer that would be tall enough for him to sit in. Someone, elsewhere on the web mentioned that their child was in a trailer until they were six! So I'm thinking it must be possible? I need a trailer for two because my two year old daughter also sits in it with her brother. My son's height when sitting down from bottom to top of head is 56cm (hopefully I can edit this latter and fill this bit in - just wanted to get some ideas asap - I keep forgetting to measure him :oops: )

Kind regards

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    There are tandem tagalongs available - but they get pretty unwieldy once the combined weights get up there.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    My Burley D-lite manual says good for up to 7 years, max weight 45kg and internal height 64cm.
    Seriously doubt we'll use it once he gets 4 ish but he'll want to ride himself. Probably get an isla bike or tagalong. Think they do them that also becomes a bike. He'll be able to tag along for longer rides but still have a bike to ride about near home under supervision of course.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    We have a Croozer trailer. Our 3 1/2 year old is fairly tall for his age and fits with plenty of headroom to spare. We're taking it for a cycle tour/camp in Brittany in the summer, but I expect this will be the last year he'll be happy to sit for longish periods, and even then we're planning regular breaks to let him run around.

For going to nursery he just about still fits his Hamax Sleepy on my wife's Pashley.

For his older bros (now 14 and 11) we skipped the tag-along stage, and to be honest I wasn't that convinced about the concept anyway.

What we got instead was an Orbit Libra tandem. Adjustable down to a 4/5 year old, up to fit my wife. Not by any means a speed machine, but a great taxi until they were old enough to keep up on their own bikes. Now we regularly use it to tow the Croozer. Works well and certainly gets people's attention (it's me if you live in Woking)!

As a side effect it's convinced us that once the youngest is old enough for his own bike a proper touring tandem is the way forward, probably an investment in a bespoke frame ...
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I'm annoyed I didn't think of this earlier. Perhaps the WeeHoo iGo?

http://weehoo.eu/shop/
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike