Cassette/hub compatibility?

HellsCyclist
HellsCyclist Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Just changed an old hyperglide 5600 cassette for a tiagra 4600 cassette, both 10 speed. However when installing the new tiagra cassette I had to remove a spacer (between cassette and spokes)or else the lockring wouldnt screw on. However when setting the low screw, I noticed the rear mech is dangerously close to the rear wheel on the large cog.
Is this an issue with the freehub? I didnt change the old freehub, I think I may need a longer one.

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Can you not adjust it to a safe gap with the b screw? That's what it's for.
  • Zendog1 wrote:
    Can you not adjust it to a safe gap with the b screw? That's what it's for.

I though the B screw was for adjusting the distance of mech to the cassette sprockets, hence I didnt try that. Tbh I never done anything like this before, but theres only one way to learn so I thought I would try it.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    You are right and i should learn to read threads properly!
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    thinner spacer? petra cycles sell all sorts of shimano etc spares. some of the spacers come with 3 indents to cope with the tiagra cassette IIRC - does yours have these?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    The Tiagra 4600 doesn't need the spacer you removed with your 105 cassette : that's only for 105, Ultegra or DA

Should be fine without it, should all line-up, no need to alter the hi-lo screws or the adjuster

should all be explained here in the FAQ's
    viewtopic.php?f=40101&t=12586223