Bikes on Gatwick Express?

shaun.s
shaun.s Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

I'll shortly be starting a job that will be temporarily based near Gatwick Airport (Manor Royal.) Was hoping to live somewhat closer in to London as my partner will be commuting there, and we're both keen on living as close to the city as possible.

I was hoping to be able to cycle/train/cycle to work via Clapham Junction (or possibly Croydon) but the Gatwick Express/Southern trains websites state that cycles are prohibited during 'peak' services (7am-10am/4pm/6pm). I emailed their Customer Services and whilst they confirm that policy, they also suggested that if there is space, I will get on.

So I'm looking for anybody's actual experience of taking bikes on these trains? I would assume the trains are (relatively) quiet in these directions, i.e. commuting away from London and it might actually be possible. Is this a complete non-starter?

Cheers!

Comments

• jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Are you not tempted to ride all the way? :)
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Welcome to the "manor". You'll soon come to love the local councils idea of cycling infrastructure and the locals idea of driving. We also have our own suicide bomber from nearby Martyrs Ave, apt road name there.

Firstly, it's much cheaper to use southern than gatwick express which is aimed at clueless tourists, assuming you pay for your commute. Think 21 quid single vs 8.80

Secondly, I think you'll generally be ok. Services out of London are reasonably quiet, and the trains very long 12 coaches, the only snag can be people's luggage.

Finally, with gatwick express The trains do not have large vestibules so you may struggle to fit your bike in. Southern trains are the "suburban" type and therefore much better for this.
  • shaun.s
    Thanks, that's helpful!

I wrongly assumed 'Gatwick Express' and Southern were the same operator, but that's good to know. I'll be covering the cost myself. Thankfully the Manor phase is only 3 months or so, then I'll be back asking daft questions about cycling to Heathrow :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Brompton.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Stag on
    Just to manage your expectations, once you get out of gatwick airport you have two options to get to the industrial
    Area.

1) Segregated cycle path ending in 100m or so of broken up asphalt/ pot holes / cart track, then a limbo under a barrier, followed by a teeth juddering journey through city place. If you think some of the town planners / designers in London are bad you need to see this place which is seemingly designed to deter cycling altogether.

2) the A 23 which although it is nominally a 50 mph limit, is in reality a brutal motorway speed dual carriageway with a terrible surface.

Not one for the best bike, I'd recommend a folder or a tough hybrid with gator skins. Oh, bring your puncture repair kit too.

Once you get into manor royal you are faced with a crystal maze style assault course of cycle infrastructure, the sample menu of provision including but not limited to shared paths, dedicated lanes, on road lanes. Of course all of them require you to give way at every one of the dozens of side roads. My advice, use the main carriageway.

Oh, and beware of the left hooking white van man, nikki Lauder style hire car and airport parking staff and tipper trucks and HGVs. If you've got asthma you're going to struggle due to the appalling air quality in the area. In summary, great. :D
  • shaun.s
    I appreciate the crushing realism, thanks...

It's on Fleming Way, which is at least the 'right' end of Manor Royal for the airport, but I was expecting the segregated path to be a beautiful glassy-smooth green ribbon of loveliness for the 2.5 miles to work. Obviously not!

I'll be on my Genesis Day 1, overkill for this journey but it'll be pressed into 'proper' service when I move to my permanent base.
  • The gatwick express doesnt stop at clapham
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Brilliant timing this post as I've a similar question (sorry for hijacking). I'm up for a job in the same area and was planning on riding 8 miles to East Croydon, train to Gatwick and then the couple of miles to (fingers crossed) my new job.

I'm guessing there are no restrictions on bikes as I'm going the "wrong way" but in reality I'm also guessing I'll be competing with thousands of tourist with luggage so it might not work. Realistically, will I need a folding bike? Serious question this as not sure the house will take yet another bike......
  • Stag on
    I regularly take the 'return' journey into London of an evening albeit without bike in tow, around 1700 or so, often I'm the only one in the carriage so I think you'll be OK. There are several muppets with luggage, heading for their low cost flights, but the trains are very long 10 or 12 coachers, and there is a lot of space in the vestibule. If you are joining at East Croydon you can also hop on a First Capital Connect service, similar rolling stock and train length, fares slightly higher than Southern (I think).

I've only once had to bail onto a Southern train in the mornings with my hybrid after a particularly bad mechanical, it was fine and this was on a morning with significant disruption so more commuters.

Gatwick is slightly annoying as for a station with the most lemmings with luggage it has the narrowest platforms, plus difficult to use the stairs / escalators. There is also a short cut from the South Terminal to the A23/Cycle path that goes directly under the terminal building, look for a green exit sign then it's down a very steep set of stairs.
  • Stag on
    The definitive Southern Policy below

"The following restrictions apply:

Our peak cycle restrictions are shown on the map below. Regular (non-folding) cycles cannot be carried:

On services due to arrive into London/Brighton or Kensington Olympia (the Red zones) between 07:00 and 10:00 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
    On services due to depart from London/Brighton or Kensington Olympia (the Red zones) between 16:00 – 19:00 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
    Regular cycles may be carried at any time on services for journeys made wholly within the Green zone."
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Stag on - thanks very much for your comments. Southern's cycle policy is a bit of a pain as I didn't realise you've also got to worry about some of the services out of London in the morning.

Sounds like I can see how the job goes (if I get it) with a full sized bike for a bit then before rushing out to get a Brompton (I didn't realise how pricey they are before this morning).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stag on - thanks very much for your comments. Southern's cycle policy is a bit of a pain as I didn't realise you've also got to worry about some of the services out of London in the morning.

Sounds like I can see how the job goes (if I get it) with a full sized bike for a bit then before rushing out to get a Brompton (I didn't realise how pricey they are before this morning).

If i worked at the beeb, I would now say "Other, cheaper, brands of folding bicyles are available".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shaun.s
    Stag on - Southern confirmed this is their 'official' policy, but heavily implied that 'it'll be fine, we just can't tell you so in writing...'

Many thanks for the useful information on the station - I think I know the stairs you mean.

Let us know how you get on londoncommuter if you start before me!