Replacing Tiagra 4500 9 Speed Double Front Derailleur

mpholland
mpholland Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

I am in the process of updating worn parts on my road bike which I bought in early 2010.

I'm having difficulty finding a like-for-like replacement for my front derailleur, as far as I can tell the original part that came with my bike has been discontinued!

Does anybody know of some options that will be compatible with my current set up? The details of the original part are:
Shimano Tiagra FD-4500
9 Speed Double
Clamp on (31.8mm I think)

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Any Shimano double shift FD will work. Your shifter for the FD is a double and nothing to do with the 9 speed shifting of the other shifter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    the front shifters are slightly different for 9 and 10 speed - think the cage is narrower on the 10 as the chain is narrower. 10 speed front will work on 9 but you'll probably get more chain rub at the extremes than a 9 speed mech
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I would think a current Sora front de-railleur will work fine. It's a 9 speed groupset and available with 2 chainrings. In fact the current Sora looks VERY similar to the previous Tiagra. Perhaps they just demoted old tiagra to new Sora?
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himgrfr311
  • Thanks for the advice, I have been looking at the Sora as the spec matches up with my current part.
    I haven't seen any other 9 speed derailleurs on sale so will probably go for that.

Ideally I would like something above Sora level but I'm not sure I want to gamble with the chain width, no use having a quality part that doesn't do the gear shifts properly!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    mpholland wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, I have been looking at the Sora as the spec matches up with my current part.
    I haven't seen any other 9 speed derailleurs on sale so will probably go for that.

Ideally I would like something above Sora level but I'm not sure I want to gamble with the chain width, no use having a quality part that doesn't do the gear shifts properly!
    It's just a name really!
    I reckon the current Sora will be every bit as good as 4500 Tiagra.
  • Yep you're probably completely right. Cheers