Headset wear

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited March 2014 in Workshop
A question from ignorance. Bike went in for a service and I was told the headset is gone, fair enough, I'll go looking for a new one and install it (for a giant tcr comp, it is an integrated one so I think this does the trick; FSA Orbit CE Plus Integrated 45x45 Headset).

But how does this wear out? This is for curiosity rather than an "Omg, my bike is rubbish something wore out".
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    How old is the bike/headset and what maintenance do you do?

It could of failed due to fair wear and tear (friction, moving parts, etc) or could have failed due to a manufacturing defect that got through quality control. Giant shift a lot of bikes and the supplier of the cartridges will probably produce a lot of those too, you''re probably the one in 100/1000/etc person that will encounter a problem (if it wasn't down to fair wear and tear).

I went through two in the space of 6 months on my bike. After the second one went it was apparent that the bearing cartridges being supplied were just crap and I went and sourced my own. 18 months later and it's still going strong.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Flâneur
    Just under 18 months, probably around 5k miles. Gets 3 services a year at least and a wipe down with baby wipes/rags etc. Just raised my curiosity as I didn't think of it as a perishable item like the BB/cassettes/brake pads.

Was a bad luck day for the bike though, new BB, headset, my new Zonda's may have a bad cone on the rear hub ( month old and only been on for 2 weeks, so I'll email the shop in question when I get it back) and then cracked forks (giant warranty were emailed by the store).

Think with it all going wrong I became very curious as to how such items become so worn. a BB I can appreciate with X turns a minute for X minutes a week.

Cheers for the response
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    if it was an open cage bearing set it`ll probably be water getting sprayed into it from your front wheel causing them to go rusty. Bike makers can be tight with grease in these areas. Get sealed bearing on the next headset and every so often whip them out and pump some fresh grease in the lower bearing :D Grease is your friend when it comes to bearings :D
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    bottom headset bearing as above gets water flicked up from front wheel and tends to go rusty.

if the headset is too loose or too tight then this will wear it out prematurely also
  • Flâneur
    Cheers, handy to know this stuff so I can pretend to have a vague understanding.
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy