Best road pedals recommendations

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I currently have Speedplay pedals and have been having problems with them squeaking, i have tried all the tips re maintenance but still they squeak. My mates don't so i know they are a good pedal and was wondering what pedals are out there that may be better and less maintenance.

if someone has tried a few different brands and models and what there recommendation would be? I dot mind cost as long as they are good and the cleats last a reasonable time.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was going to get Speedplays but ended up getting DA ones.

Have not had any other road ones to compare with but saw they were £105 on PX recently so would say snap them up if they are still on there and get out on your bike ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Mavics look cool.

I like the idea that the mechanism stays open (if it works properly).

Can/does the mech ever close without the shoe locked in, and if it does can it still be opened in the same way (by pushing shoe at it) as normal?

Does it weaken the spring if it is under tension pretty much all the time (as opposed to only when the shoe is attached)?

Do they make cool clicking in/out noises? :lol:
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    Carbonator wrote:

Have not had any other road ones to compare with but saw they were £105 on PX recently so would say snap them up if they are still on there and get out on your bike ;-)

Are the Dura ace pedals that good? How long do the cleats last for?
  • Anonymous
    davoj wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Are the Dura ace pedals that good? How long do the cleats last for?

They seem pretty good, but have nothing to compare to.

Cleats will depend on how much/hard you use them I guess but have been told 6-12 months.
    Would have thought they last about the same amount of time as any similar ones.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Using Keo Classics
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Exustar LOOK-alike pedals Epr-100's Cost about £18 including cleats. The Aluminium PR-16's are about £13, cheaper than a new set cleats!
  • I know they're technically not road pedals, but I love the Crank Brothers' "eggbeaters" -- simple, reasonably priced, easy to get in and out. I haven't had any "hotspot" problems despite the tiny platform; just replace the brass cleats every 5000 miles or so. I ride these on my road bike, and they're totally forgettable in use, which is what I want from pedals.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,128
    Having 3 machines, I opted for Keo's as it meant not having to have have different shoes or mucking around with cleats or experimenting with pedals I may or may not like as it was a natural transition from the old style Look pedals. I did like the Time pedals as they had a big platform and never had hot spots.

They are okay and very reliable, bearings seem to go on and on. 1 pair of Keo Max was bought 2nd hand on here and are still perfect. I like the simplicity of them.
    About that 'hotspot', I think that the stiffer the shoe, the less likely the hotspot.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    So the basic advice is use what you like, because there's people out there with an individual preference for all of the major manufacturers offerings (of course, some of these preferences are strong as it is what they have bought). That said, speedplay do offer most tweakability on setup of cleats and float, adding entry on both sides which some people like but is hardly essential. Most of the others it's take your pick really. (I don't ride speedplay).
  • tc3nitro
    tc3nitro Posts: 82
    Currently i have a set of 105 pedals on my winter hack and a pair of carbon ultegra pedals on my summer ride.

Really cannot fault shimano pedals or cleats. The last set of cleats lasted a year of abuse.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Cleat wear depends on how much you walk around off the bike. Wear is minimal when you're just riding and putting your foot down now and again for junctions, lights, etc. I've had 2 years out of a set and there's still meat on the wear indicators.

(I use Shimano)

Ribble have 10% discount on pedals at the mo - 'PESH10'.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    I can't fault Shimano pedals at all.

I have a set if spd-sl pedals and cleats that have done 15k miles 8 years old and still going :shock:
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have tried Look carbon blade pedals with titanium spindles and I have used dura ace 7800 (all aluminium) and 7900 & 9000 (carbon bodied).

I'll be sticking with the DA - I've not had to carry out any maintenance on the 7800s (to my shame!) and they are still serving me on my daily commute since I started using them in 2006/2007. The newer pedals need to be slacked off a bit to suit me unclipping but I see no indication that they will be less durable than the 7800s other than probably less resilient to crash damage.

I clipped one of my Look's and the pedal snapped in half leaving me unable to clip in. In fairness, they did take quite a whack on a verge but I was extremely surprised to have them fail in that manner. They also drove me mad squeaking in damp or wet conditions - apparently their non slip version of cleats were prone to this.

In terms of cleats, assuming you don't bother with the cafe covers, Shimano cleats are significantly more durable than the Look equivalents. Neither are brilliant and I wouldn't want to walk any distance on a hard surface.

Peter
  • Shimano 05 SPD-SL's. Last set I bought only 35 quid from CRC. May cost more now, but good pedals and great value.
    Plus they're Shimano so they just work and work well.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Shimano 105 - no need to spend more.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.