Flat Pedals - recommendations

mahesket
mahesket Posts: 85
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

Looking for a new set of flats for my hardtail. I am willing to spend up to £40 but I can't seem to decide. I have size 12 feet so need a large platform.

I have seen some Shimano Saint, Nukeprook Electron? and superstar pedals that look like they could do the job.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Cheers
Matt

Comments

• lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    DMR V8's with the Grease Ports.
    Quality pedals, come in some good colours too.
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    V8s are heavy and out dated. I'd go for wellgo mg1.
  • mahesket
    With the price difference of the two above I would have to try the DMR's not too fussed about the weight.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo MG1.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve got superstar Nanos on both my mtb`s. My size 12`s are comfy on them and they`re dead easy to get fresh grease in the bearings without having to strip them or needing a grease port :D
  • MG1s can be found for less than £30 here. I must admit that seems like a great deal, though I wasn't in the market for a new pair of flats.....
  • mahesket
    Cheers for the link, looks promising.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Superstar nanos any day
  • mahesket
    Wellgo V8 replicas? They are cheap £13 but is that for a reason?
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    I have 2 sets of shimano Saint MX80s . Superb pedals and very reasonably priced. I also have MX30s which are even gripper but the pins are easily damaged.
  • I have Nukeproof Electrons and find the grip to be brilliant with my five tens. Nice and lightweight for the money too
    James
  • Dont go DMR's, way too big and chunky, unless you go for Vaults.

Im on my second set of Exotic Cycles Flats. Cant fault them. Cheaper than Superstars, and most likely the same pedal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190728529861? ... 1039wt_959
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    DMR's also don't have sealed bearings, which for those of us who ride in the uk and don't like daily maintanance can be a problem...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    With size 12 feet stay well away from the V8's and V12's (DMR or Wellgo versions). I've only got size 44 (9.5) feet and they are far too small a platform for me. Not to mention the other downfalls others have mentioned (weight, bearings, thickness etc.).

The Vaults on the other hand would be perfect for you but they're unfortunately out of your budget. They have a huge platform, are fairly light and have excellent grip.

The Nano's (from Superstar or Exotic) and some Nukeproof's are the same pedal. They are decent but no where near as nice as the Vaults. The big problem with them is the axle protrudes in the the centre of the body meaning they aren't concave enough to offer that extra bit of grip. I found MG1's grippier with the standard pins than the Nano's. I stuck longer pins in both the MG1's and Nano's to get the grip I desired from them, especially in the mud when the tiny pins in the Nano's would be completely covered so there just wasn't anything to grip.

Honestly if it was me, I would try to find the extra for the Vaults. I found even the Nano's and MG1's could have been slightly bigger so I can only imagine that's a lot worse with feet your size. Or there is also the Wellgo B54. The B54's are pretty heavy and thick but they are tough, very grippy (thanks in part to the proper concave shape but also the long pins as standard) and have a huge platform.

FWIW I own V8's (both DMR and Wellgo branded), Nano Thru Pin's, MG1's, B54's and Vault's and have used quite a few others and my favourite by far is the Vault's, followed by the Nano's then very closely the MG1's. The MG1's would be ahead of the Nano's if it wasn't for the fact they are magnesium so pins rip out easier taking the threads with them so they weren't replaceable. The V8's were horrible, honestly I can't think of a single positive about them.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    peter413 wrote:
    Or there is also the Wellgo B54. The B54's are pretty heavy and thick but they are tough, very grippy (thanks in part to the proper concave shape but also the long pins as standard) and have a huge platform.

I love my B54s and wanted another pair for my other bike, but sadly they're discontinued. I got CRC's last pair for a bargain £25, and couldn't find any more anywhere.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    peter413 wrote:
    Or there is also the Wellgo B54. The B54's are pretty heavy and thick but they are tough, very grippy (thanks in part to the proper concave shape but also the long pins as standard) and have a huge platform.

I love my B54s and wanted another pair for my other bike, but sadly they're discontinued. I got CRC's last pair for a bargain £25, and couldn't find any more anywhere.

Ah that's a shame. They were a good alternative for people with massive feet but didn't want to spend much.
  • Kowalski675
    I only have size 8s, but find them really grippy and tough (they get twatted off a few rocks with my crap riding). Swapping from my cheapy OE Wellgos to the B54s was a revelation.
  • Saints
  • Wellgo mg1 or superstar then.
  • mahesket
    Wow thanks for the responses guys. I would like the vaults but you are getting at something that is 1/5th the price of my bike lol.

I will see what I can find the best deal on the MG1 and superstar (style) ones.

Thanks
    Matt
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    if you do buy superstar pedals, service kits are available if the bearings fail which hasnt happened to me yet after two years of constant use.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I think the general consensus seems to be Saints, Nanos or MG1s, pick the one that suits you the most (strength, price, weight)...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I'm going to throw another one into the mix, Wellgo B124's.
    Took them to a demo day as they were spares I had knocking about, and for me they wipe the floor with the Superstar Nano's on my usual bike. Much grippier and I never even noticed them until I realised I never once had to re-adjust my feet, brilliant pedals ! I'll be keeping these when I change bike shortly......
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Personally I'd go Superstar or Saints
  • mahesket
    Cheers for the recommendations everyone, I went to go for superstars but they only had strange colours left ie pink.

So I went for a pair of MG1's for £30 delivered we'll see how they turn out, no doubt better than the stock pedals that came with my bike.

Chose black and hopefully they will come before my planned ride at the weekend.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Anyone tried nukeproof electrons?
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:
    Anyone tried nukeproof electrons?

There's a mini review of them in this month's What MTB. Oddly, they choose to include them in a quick "3 best flat pedals" feature, then proceed to give them a lukewarm review saying that the platform is too convex because of the axle thickness.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    mahesket wrote:
    Cheers for the recommendations everyone, I went to go for superstars but they only had strange colours left ie pink.

Nowt wrong with strange coloured pedals, makes your bike unique and the colour wears off eventually anyway :D
  • mahesket
    MG-1's arrived today, that was quick
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    mahesket wrote:
    MG-1's arrived today, that was quick
    CRC? My pedals arrived next day as well :D
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL