Gear Cables

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I need a new gear cable for one or my mtbs and the other has the original cable which is now 4 years old. still shifting superbly in my opinion but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to replace and I'll probably see an improvement.

Both my bikes are 1x9 and therefore obviously I only need rear cables. One is a Stumpjumper FSR which has a full length outer and the other is a 456C which has hardly any outer in comparison.

I wanted to buy a set of cables but given I need two rear inners and a whole bunch of outer, that probably won't work.

Anyone know of a cost effective solution?
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano stainless inner and Shimano SP41 (XT) outer bought by the metre, from CRC or similar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Still need ferrules then and they're generally what keep the shifting nice
  • This has all ferrules and stuff plus the shorter inner is still long enough to be a rear cable on my 456.

only problem is not enough outer but it's £2.99 per metre from the same place.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I buy enough of everything at a time to last a year or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I agree with CD, 2 inners and x amount of outer of SP41 flavour from your local bike shop, they more than likely throw in ferrules etc for free :D
  • Realised I didn't actually give a link. I was referring to an XTR cable kit on CRC. I'll go to the bike shop tomorrow and see what they've got. It'll work out cheaper if I can get the ferrules and stuff for free :)