What's the Italian equivalent of Bourg D'Oisans/St-Jean DM?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
As the question says, really!

I've done quite a few cycling trips in France over the past few years, taking in a few sportives like the Marmotte along the way.

This year, my mates and I would like to consider Italy as a destination.

We'd like to base ourselves in one place, from which we can venture out to multiple climbs and routes.

So, as the question says, what good locations exist in Italy that might provide a good accessible 'base', a bit like Bourg D'Oisans or St-Jean Du Maurienne in France?

In other words, several different climbs all within easy access from one place, ideally with that 'place' having something to do (supermarkets, accommodation etc)?

Comments

• I'm sure someone will have a better idea but Tirano is well placed for some decent climbs.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Corvara is fantastic. From there you have a host of great climbs within riding distance, including Campalongo, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Fedaia, Erbe, Giau, Tre Cime, Tre Croci, Furcia, Santa Lucia and Falzarego.

Sure there are probably others in that area as well. You're in the heart of the Dolomites so rides aplenty.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I'm sure someone will have a better idea but Tirano is well placed for some decent climbs.

Stayed in Tirano for the Granfondo Giordana a few years back, and it is decent, with the Gavia, Mortirolo, Santa Cristina and the Stelvio all within riding distance.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    There's Bormio too.

Good location for a lot of famous climbs.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    guinea wrote:
    There's Bormio too.

Good location for a lot of famous climbs.

Beat me too it was just going to say the same
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Heard a lot of good about Bormio, and its next on my list...
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • insella
    insella Posts: 37
    Corvara and Bormio are excellent bases. Cortina d'Ampezza if you have the budget! I ride in the Dolomites a lot and good starting points for a multitude of routes I recommend are Bellamonte (because of the potential for easier recovery days also), Agordo and nearby Alleghe: Anywhere in the Dolomites is a winner. but I advise to avoid August because that is the priciest and busiest time as it is when Italians tend to flock on their holidays. July less so. The optimal months I suggest are May, June, September.
    If you are searching for a little more variety that includes mountains, but not only arduous climbs and madcap descents, then have a look at the potential of Monte Grappa, Altopiano di Asiago and the hills of Asolo and Valdobbiadine. These are the pre-Alp dolomites and foothills from where you can do a big ride into the Dolomites proper, or drive to Alleghe in 1 hour. Near Mt Grappa is where I live and ride and I see many B&B's around that are nice and cheap, plenty of hotels too but I don't know the prices. A really beautiful lively local town to stay in is Bassano Del Grappa. If you prefer antique and tranquil you might look at Asolo.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bormio is nice - and theres a proper cycling hotel there too - bike storage - maintenance kit - they even wash your bike clothes.
  • Langlais
    Langlais Posts: 21
    +1 for the Corvara area (at least in May). Had a week in La Villa in mid-May last year, lots of great climbs within "easy" reach. The classic Sella loop (Campolongo, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena) and also the Fedaia (Marmolada), Giau, Falzarego, Valparola. Very quiet roads in May and all the passes were open (some only just, though).
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Bormio is nice - and theres a proper cycling hotel there too - bike storage - maintenance kit - they even wash your bike clothes.
    What hotels in Bormio do you recommend? The Stelvio is on my bucket list.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Another +1 for Corvara / La Villa area in Dolomites :D

Beautiful roads, climbs and descents.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    lemon63 wrote:
    What hotels in Bormio do you recommend? The Stelvio is on my bucket list.

hopefully they'll say hotel funivia, as that's where i'm going in june :-)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago