Second Hand Bike Advice - No idea where to start

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I am a mtber by nature but turning more to the dark side of the road as each week passes and I am now wanting to get myself a road bike. The problem being I have just spent 2k on a new MTB 3 months ago so I need something £300-500 so I can sneak it past the Mrs.

I realise second hand will be the best way to go, but as a complete roadie outsider I do not know any brands/models to look for on eBay etc. I am quite tall, 6ft2ish, 79kg, and live in the Dales and right next to some glorious hills.

With this in mind can anyone recommend any brands/models to kick start my search, bearing in mind the £300-500 budget? I guess I should be looking for a 60cm frame with my 90cm inside leg?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Have a look in the following thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12963071

The Felt seems good value for money:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Wormishere1
    Thanks for the links. If I cannot find anything second hand I will give one of those a go.

I am hoping to pick up someones old cycle to work bike that never quite made it to work and back! Even if it is a few years old a second hand bike will hopefully have spec good enough to stop me spending more on upgrades!
    Remember Rule #5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Second hand is great if you find the right one at the right price, but it can sometimes be an uphill struggle finding one in good condition, in the right size and local enough for pick up.............. that the seller wants to sell cheap enough to make it all worthwhile.

If you have a 2k mtb I feel you need a 1k+ road bike to fully appreciate the dark side ;-)

Having a decent mtb should make you want a decent road bike, not a cheap one.
    Might be a false economy.

Is your wife going to know the difference?
    Just get an Ultegra PlanetX carbon jobie for £999 and tell her it was someones cycle to work bike that never made it to work :D
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I was in a similar position, researched a bit and decided a Specialized Allez would tick all my boxes as a first road bike.

Bought one unseen on Ebay for £300, turned out to be a bit of a dog cosmetically (as in quite a few areas of chipped paint) despite being described as pristine, but I have to say it's a great bike.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Keep your eye out in the "Classified" section on this site.

Spotted this listing which is a few weeks old which could be ideal for you. Not sure if the bike is still available but you could check by sending a PM to the OP

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12957993
  • Wormishere1
    I was in a similar position, researched a bit and decided a Specialized Allez would tick all my boxes as a first road bike.

Bought one unseen on Ebay for £300, turned out to be a bit of a dog cosmetically (as in quite a few areas of chipped paint) despite being described as pristine, but I have to say it's a great bike.

This looks great - had a quick look on eBay and there are plenty. To be honest at the moment it is just for improving fitness for my MTBing so condition is not everything really - as long as it rolls easier than my 2.3's up hills then I will be happy!
    Remember Rule #5
  • Wormishere1
    Carbonator wrote:
    Second hand is great if you find the right one at the right price, but it can sometimes be an uphill struggle finding one in good condition, in the right size and local enough for pick up.............. that the seller wants to sell cheap enough to make it all worthwhile.

If you have a 2k mtb I feel you need a 1k+ road bike to fully appreciate the dark side ;-)

Having a decent mtb should make you want a decent road bike, not a cheap one.
    Might be a false economy.

Is your wife going to know the difference?
    Just get an Ultegra PlanetX carbon jobie for £999 and tell her it was someones cycle to work bike that never made it to work :D

Haha, I know what you mean! I think I will give an Allez or something similar a go first to see if I am just roadbi curious at the moment. If things develop I am sure a lovely carbon bike way over my requirements and way under a sensibly weight will be secretively purchased...
    Remember Rule #5
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    To be honest at the moment it is just for improving fitness for my MTBing so condition is not everything really - as long as it rolls easier than my 2.3's up hills then I will be happy!

Yes but after being overtaken by my mum or trying a mate's carbon loveliness you'll be starting on the upgrades. Start with the wheels. :wink:

Before parting with cash for a 2nd hand back it's worth asking yourself what you could get new for a similar price; if you know the market and you know enough about bikes not to buy a turkey you'll be fine. Decathlon Tribans are popular (and seem to get good reviews) at the lower end of the market.
  • Wormishere1
    True true.

The Felt F95 that Dork Knight linked too looks like a good proposition too. Had good experiences with Wiggle in the past too.

Does anyone know if the £399 is their 'perpetual sale price' that Wiggle often have, or is it genuinely in the sale?
    Remember Rule #5
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Boardman Team Carbon with SRAM Rival, and from 2009-10 circa £500, no brainer, had a couple and are great bikes. Plenty come up on eBay.
    Cheers, Stu