Pedal pins..

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have some Superstar Nano Thru Pin pedals

I have found even with my proper shoes I slip occasionally and often at the worst moment, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any pins I could put in that are longer than the standard ones to really dig into the bottom of my shoes

Thanks

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    These are for the Moove through pin pedals (which look very similar), so may fit (can't say for sure though).

http://www.moovebikeco.com/sharp-pedal- ... less-steel
  • ej2320
    They might work.. But they don't look any longer or much sharper than the current pins

Anyone else know any?

I may try lightening them as much as I can to get a bit of extra length
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Take one of your pedal pins to a fastener supplier and ask for some a few millimetres longer. Should cost you about £2 at most.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    ej2320 wrote:
    I have some Superstar Nano Thru Pin pedals

I have found even with my proper shoes I slip occasionally and often at the worst moment, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any pins I could put in that are longer than the standard ones to really dig into the bottom of my shoes

Thanks
    What kind of shoes have you got ? You need something sticky like 5.10s
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:
    They might work.. But they don't look any longer or much sharper than the current pins

They may not be any longer, but they're certainly sharper - the originals are cylindrical with a flat top, these are conical spikes.
  • What Shindig said...
    It may not be the pins, it may be your shoes that are the problem.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or technique.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Our Thru pin pedals use stadnard M4 DIN 912 bolts available from any hardware store in a load of lengths from 4mm to 50mm!

i would look at footware first as they arent particularly short as standard.

Regards, Neil (Superstar)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I suggest the 50mm, filed down to sharp points. Then just screw your feet to the pedals. Job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I've got nano thrus, too, which have had these silly alu pins fitted by the previous owner.

I'm considering replacing them with stainless grub screws (using threadlok to stop them unscrewing) - I'm thinking that then I can experiment with different amounts standing pround of the pedal to find the right amount of grip.
  • ej2320
    I have Teva Links

Not as grippy as five tens but decent, the main problem is I should really be riding clipless but I haven't got the money to upgrade

I don't believe it's my technique, but it could be.. The main issue is I like to get as many pedal strokes in as possible in a DH or race run so I don't always have a chance to shift up and my feet spin off the pedals

The Tevas have lots of little holes on the bottom designed to allow pedal pins to wedge in them, so I was thinking of getting longer pins to fully utilise that

I think a trip to the hardware store is the best bet

Nothing against Superstar and the pedals are otherwise great, it's just me being fussy
  • ej2320
    cooldad wrote:
    I suggest the 50mm, filed down to sharp points. Then just screw your feet to the pedals. Job done.

I think you might be on to something there..
  • Kowalski675
    ej2320 wrote:
    the main problem is I should really be riding clipless but I haven't got the money to upgrade

I think you mean change, rather than upgrade. Flats v clipless is personal preference.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:
    the main problem is I should really be riding clipless but I haven't got the money to upgrade

I think you mean change, rather than upgrade. Flats v clipless is personal preference.

Good point, but for me it would be an upgrade :lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    ej2320 wrote:
    I don't believe it's my technique, but it could be.. The main issue is I like to get as many pedal strokes in as possible in a DH or race run so I don't always have a chance to shift up and my feet spin off the pedals

And there's your technique issue - learn to use your gears. Longer pins won't make any difference to coming off the pedals if your spinning out in a gear, but they will make a f**king mess of your pads and shins when they bite you.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.