How is the clearance for guards & 25mm tyres on 2014 Synapse

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Just doing a little homework before I head to lbs on Thursday to try a 2014 synapse, if I decided to pick one up it would be great if they took full length sks longblades and 25mm conti gatorskins without rubbing issues and accumulating gunk under the guards. Anyone know how guard friendly the 2014 synapse is ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• starside
    starside Posts: 20
    Hello, I have a Synapse Tiagra 2014 (Alu frame)

I have fitted guard fine with the default 25mm tyres (Schwalbe Lugano). The guards I use are the Crud RoadRacer Mk2. I selected these guards so that I can fit a rear rack also.

I tried fitting some 28mm tyres, and although there is clearance for them, there was rubbing with the mudguards.
  • Serious Cat
    starSide wrote:
    Hello, I have a Synapse Tiagra 2014 (Alu frame)

I have fitted guard fine with the default 25mm tyres (Schwalbe Lugano). The guards I use are the Crud RoadRacer Mk2. I selected these guards so that I can fit a rear rack also.

I tried fitting some 28mm tyres, and although there is clearance for them, there was rubbing with the mudguards.

I don't like cruds at all, but do you think there would be clearance if 25s were used with sks longblades ? How do you find the fit of your synapse , very comfy for big miles or a bit more race orientated ?
  • starside
    starside Posts: 20
    I am 6ft 2 with longer legs than arms. I have a 58cm and I think the fit is fine. The most I have done is 85 miles. I think I need a shorter stem though as i tend to get a bit of pain in my left palm after a while. This is my first ever road bike so I cannot compare to anything else.
  • Serious Cat
    I think a size 56 frame with circa 110mm stem may have resulted in a better fit for you but this is impossible to confirm without seeing you on the 58. Im very interested if the 2014 synapse matches the comfort levels which the 2013 models provided.