The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited March 2014 in Routes
Who's been? taking the cannondale up there this weekend for two days

Tell me its good :)

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pack waterproofs, proper knobbly tyres that work in mud and on wet tree roots, oh and a snorkel for some of the deeper puddles. This winter hasnt been kind to some sections of trail but it does make it a proper ride not a ponce round an overgrown BMX track.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I love Gisburn and was up there last weekend. It's all good, and the trails are really varied. Home Baked and Hully Gully are some of my favourite bits if trail anywhere.

I snapped a mech hanger and a chain and spent 40 minutes on repairs and still gad a great time.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I love Gisburn and was up there last weekend. It's all good, and the trails are really varied. Home Baked and Hully Gully are some of my favourite bits if trail anywhere.

I snapped a mech hanger and a chain and spent 40 minutes on repairs and still gad a great time.

You seem to snap an awful lot of mech hangars! :shock:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I really like Gisburn. Not ridden it since winter hit though (I imagine Hully Gully is cut up to f**k now, it was getting really rough even in last summer), but it's certainly great in summer (lots of muddy puddles after rain though,as has been said). Hully Gully is a proper giggle, Hope Line too. Definitely worth a visit. New section of trail opening soon too, to bypass the first boring fire road climb. The last section (out past the old Crockett Hill carpark) is closing sometime around now for repairs. Unfortunately they're talking about removing the boardwalk sections too, providing they can build a trail across the bog.
  • stubs
    I really like Gisburn. Not ridden it since winter hit though (I imagine Hully Gully is cut up to f**k now, it was getting really rough even in last summer), but it's certainly great in summer (lots of muddy puddles after rain though,as has been said). Hully Gully is a proper giggle, Hope Line too. Definitely worth a visit. New section of trail opening soon too, to bypass the first boring fire road climb. The last section (out past the old Crockett Hill carpark) is closing sometime around now for repairs. Unfortunately they're talking about removing the boardwalk sections too, providing they can build a trail across the bog.

Hully Gully berms arent too bad its the bits before and after that are torn up. Hope Line is in perfect condition but some of the trails in the woods are cut to pieces with roots sticking 6 inches out of the gloop. Its nice to see they are building new sections but I reckon they should do some maintenance first unless the idea is the new sections cut out some of the worst worn bits.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Any body ridden the quarry "link above" Lee Quarry is it worth hanging around another day for ?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Heading up to Gisburn & Lee quary for a weekend in June, never been before so I'm looking forward to it.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • mcnultycop
    declan1 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

You seem to snap an awful lot of mech hangars! :shock:

Recently, yes. All the Canyon ones are dead now, hopefully the Pilo ones will be better.
  • mcnultycop
    Any body ridden the quarry "link above" Lee Quarry is it worth hanging around another day for ?
    Lee and Cragg are ace, just don't expect your usual trail centre, or decent signage!

Lee and in particular finding Cragg are best achieved with either advanced planning or a guide.
  • stubs
    For Lee and Cragg you can get a map from the burger van in the car park.
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    I though you are supposed to go to the clinic if you get giz burn
  • Slight change of plan now we are just riding Gisburn not the quarry this trip

Still should be good right ? Can't wait
  • Always try to find time to ride Gisburn when I'm back home. Raw and exposed feeling, love it.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    I was there last sun and it was in a poor state travel 30 mins more and tackle a lakes ride
  • I've been a couple of times recently. It is a bit knackered in places, but still a good ride overall. There's some great sections, make sure to put the effort in and do the hope line. Take waterproof footwear though, standing water on the first section, the snake, will soak your feet within five minutes of leaving the car park.

Not sure you'll want to do two days there though, the lakes isn't too far up the road,nor is hebden bridge. There's loads of good stuff.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

As an ex Norfolkian myself I can confirm it'll be a damn sight better than anything Norfolk can provide, and I haven't even been to Gisburn yet.

Planning on hitting it tomorrow.
  • Briggo wrote:

As an ex Norfolkian myself I can confirm it'll be a damn sight better than anything Norfolk can provide, and I haven't even been to Gisburn yet.

Planning on hitting it tomorrow.

I found this post funny :)
  • Report back on how you find it.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    stubs wrote:
    Hully Gully berms arent too bad its the bits before and after that are torn up.

I only started going there last summer and the worst bit was always after the berms before you drop down to the second second set of smaller berms and finish - cut up to fook with braking bumps and very rough.
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:
    Hully Gully berms arent too bad its the bits before and after that are torn up.

I only started going there last summer and the worst bit was always after the berms before you drop down to the second second set of smaller berms and finish - cut up to fook with braking bumps and very rough.

Part of the trail between the big berms and the smaller berms got washed away a year or two back. My mate went up really early one morning and there was a lad frantically waving his arms to stop him before he went flying into space, aparently the lad was the first up that morning and stopped with about an inch to spare there was quite a drop to the raging torrent below :lol:
  • mcnultycop
    There is still a warning sign on that last bit, "Dead slow" or similar. It's just a bit bumpy.
  • What a place totally loved it, we rode from 10am till 5pm it was brilliant.