Loose Ultegra 6700 freehub body after just ~3500 miles

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I have a pair of Ultegra 6700 wheels, which until now, have been absolutely great.

Today, while changing the chain (and rotating cassettes between my turbo and training back wheels), I noticed the cassette was a tiny bit loose, despite doing the locking ring right up with the proper tools.

On further investigation, it seems it's the freehub body which is actually loose.

These wheels were new last July and have done just 3500 miles. I'm curious what could have caused this. Can the freehub really have worn out already, or is it something that can just be tightened up? Or should I bite the bullet and replace the freehub body? I'd rather shell out £22 than go through a tedious/lengthy warranty claim with Shimano.

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    There is a small amount of acceptable lateral play in the hub end of a freehub. This does get progressively worse with use, and 3500 miles is a fair distance to start this wear being noticeable. Chances are, it's absolutely fine and not going to cause any issues for some time yet.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It is possible the nut securing the freehub has loosened. Take out the QR and the axle and stick a 10mm allen key in there and see if it will loosen / tighten?
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Even with a fairly brand new DA wheel, there will be some small amount of cassette/freehub movement, maybe about 0.5 to 1mm when twisting the cassette.

an old shimano R500 wheel that has done about 12k miles has slightly more, 1 to 2mm and that's with worn bearings.

Worth checking the 10mm bolt.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Quick follow up, for anyone that might turn this post up when searching for help in the future...

I dismantled the axle and checked the 10mm freehub bolt, but it was perfectly tight. Having verified there was still play in the freehub body, I removed it from the wheel for inspection and discovered the seal for the internal freehub bearing wasn't seated properly (the one which rolls when you are freewheeling). On removing the seal, I could see the bearings in the race and there wasn't any sign of any grease at all and by wobbling the play in the freehub, I could see it was this bearing which had the play in it.

My guess is this seal was never seated correctly from new, which had allowed dirt into the bearing, causing premature wear. Since this bearing is not user-serviceable, I swapped in the replacement freehub body which I had ordered, just in case. All is well and there's no play in the freehub/cassette assembly now.