Play in frame after fitting new bearings?

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently been on a mission to find the source of some play in the frame when lifting the bike by the saddle or top tube. I have had my shock serviced with new mounts and I have swapped every bearing in the frame but the play is still there. I think i need a new main pivot bolt but thought I'd ask if there was any other opinions or previous experience. Frame is a Cannondale RZ140

Cheers folks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your posts makes no sense at all, you shouldn't detect any play by lifting the bike unless it's truly toasted! What are you seeing or feeling that makes you believe there is play?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Generally shock bushings. Or something loose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    DU bushing on the rear shock.

I had the same thing a few weeks ago.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:
    Your posts makes no sense at all, you shouldn't detect any play by lifting the bike unless it's truly toasted! What are you seeing or feeling that makes you believe there is play?

Yes, you can.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    cooldad wrote:
    Generally shock bushings. Or something loose.

+1
  • tom_fun
    Thanks for the useful replies, I thought shock mount but it's got new ones from TF tuned after a service. I'm going to order a new bolt as that is the part of the frame it feels like it's coming from. Curious.
  • How shagged were the bushes?
    Could have ovalised the mount holes if they were really bad.
  • tom_fun
    Don't know to be honest. They just got changed. I hadn't thought of that as an option. I guess if I replace all the mount and pivot bolts and there is still play then it must be something like the mount holes ovalised.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tom_fun wrote:
    Thanks for the useful replies, I thought shock mount but it's got new ones from TF tuned after a service. I'm going to order a new bolt as that is the part of the frame it feels like it's coming from. Curious.
    Place hand over every connection and lift the bike. You will feel where the play is.

You say the mounts of the shock were changed. What was actually changed? The DU bushes and the fitting kit or just.........?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tom_fun
    Everything was changed on the rear shock. It went away with a j tech bush/mount kit and came back with a TF HD one. It feels like the play is from the main pivot when doing the above tip nicklouse.

Cheers
  • Its not something obvious like the rear wheel skewer not tightened properly is it? just a thought.
  • tom_fun
    No, checked all that.
  • tom_fun
    Double checked when I got back from work today using nicklouse's tip. Play is 100% from the linkage and not the man pivot bolt. I think the mount holes have ovalised as once the shock is out, I can put the bolts through the mount holes and there is movement straight away (and no play anywhere else in the frame). Cheers for the help fellas.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DU bushing on the rear shock.

I had the same thing a few weeks ago.
    I wouldn't personally call play in a shock bushing play in the frame, hence why I said it didn't make sense.

If it's play in the main bushing then something is really toasted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.