rock shox sektor gold soloair 150 mm review

jasencronje
jasencronje Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

After having my Specialized stolen out my garage during the storms this season
I find myself looking for a new all rounder MTB
I recently went to the London bike show to view the Canyon Strive in person before placing my order for one.

After seing the bike I was sold on it but after speaking to one of the sales reps he suggested I get the Canyon Spectral Al 8 rather as its lighter and will suite my type of riding (mostly over mendips and bike trail centres , single track stuff , I do try my hand at DH as well but must admit still very new to it.)

I then came across the Rose Bike stand and got chatting them, SO now Im looking at he Rose Granite Chief 2
or the Canyon Spectral

Anyone out there ridden or own either one of these bikes ?

Any feedback or advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanjks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I ride with a lad who has a granite chief and it's very good. Rose are based in Wiltshire and have demo bikes as well.
  • Thanks for the reply
  • I've exactly the same problem.

My bike (Commençal Meta 5) has been stolen some time ago and I can't decide between the Canyon Spectral 8, the Rose Granite Chief 2 and the Radon slide carbon 650B 8.0.

In my opinion, the pros/cons are:

CANYON SPECTRAL 8
    Pros: Frame geometry + price (RS reverb + XM-1501 included)
    Cons: XT transmission, 32mm FOX fork, 140mm travel?

ROSE Granite Chief 2:
    Pros: configurator, RS PIKE fork, X9 transmission for +160€, Magura MT8, DT M1700 stiffness, linear-progressive geometry.
    Cons: Real weight?, monotone aesthetics, +250€ for RS reverb...

RADON slide carbon 650B 8.0:
    Pros: Everything I wont for 2999 € (PIKE, RS reverb, DTswiss 1700,...), DT M1700 stiffness, 12,6 kg for 160mm.
    Cons: Carbon fragility?, little more expensive than canyon and rose, linear-regressive suspension mechanics.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
  • Thanks for the reply , what are your thoughts on the pike shocks ? If I go with the granite chief I was thinking of changing the pike forks for the fox talas with ctd ?
  • I would have a pike over any Fox, fox are made of cheese im convinced...
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Pike is unquestionably a superior fork. Take a look at some of the recent reviews for it.
  • Only reason why I thought the fox was better was that it had the easy settings for
    Changing to trail, climb and decent . Does the pike have this option too ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The black Granite Chief does look very nice. I would take the Pike over the Fox fork anytime, it's much better and CTD just blows.
  • Hi Guys ,
    anyone have one of these shocks on their bike? Are they any good for XC/AM bike ?

or should I rather dig deeper into my pockets and get the rock shox pike instead ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    What bike are you putting it on?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And which version? TK or RL?
  • Im looking at buying a rose granite chief, which you can chose either the Pike or the Sektor .
    I know the Pike is a better shock and is the one to go for , Im just trying to keep the bike price below £1900
    Im not sure weather is the Sektor RL or TK it doesn't state that info on the rose website
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The RL is quite a bit better than the TK, much better damper.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Contact Rose Bikes and ask. They have some demo bikes as well. Might be worth asking if you can try one.