Bright Computer Display for Nightime training

Cyclosis
Cyclosis Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,

Doing a fair bit of training these days in darkness, and low light. Does anyone else find their bike computer a nightmare to read in these conditions, even with the backlight on? (I've got a Garmin 500)

What I would love is a nice bright display so I could see my HR or Power out of the corner of my eye, rather than constantly peering down at it when trying to stay in an HR or wattage zone.

My dream would be something like the bright red LED displays on an F1 steering wheel.

Anyone know of such a device/display? Nice and bright and easy to see. Preferably with ANT+ so I can use my existing HR strap, cadence and power meters.

Cheers,

Jim

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My Garmin 800 works fine in the dark, it turns to a black/white colour scheme at sun down.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cyclosis wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Doing a fair bit of training these days in darkness, and low light. Does anyone else find their bike computer a nightmare to read in these conditions, even with the backlight on? (I've got a Garmin 500)

What I would love is a nice bright display so I could see my HR or Power out of the corner of my eye, rather than constantly peering down at it when trying to stay in an HR or wattage zone.

My dream would be something like the bright red LED displays on an F1 steering wheel.

Anyone know of such a device/display? Nice and bright and easy to see. Preferably with ANT+ so I can use my existing HR strap, cadence and power meters.

Cheers,

Jim

You can get glasses with F1 style lights to tell you your readouts - but an easier option would be to set audible alarms when you go over or under - HRM and Garmins can do that. I'm not sure looking at computers in the dark with the crappy roads we have at the moment is the best move.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Cyclosis wrote:
    Nice and bright and easy to see.
    Sounds like a good way to destroy night vision!

Ultimately you're after a GoogleGlass type display - I'm not sure any such device exists on the consumer market though.

I found it much better when the GPS was mounted in front of the bars - and when after TT efforts, it was better to reduce the number of readouts to only what was vital (hence larger) - why not put on some Aerobars and mount it on the end of that?
  • Cyclosis
    cougie wrote:

You can get glasses with F1 style lights to tell you your readouts - but an easier option would be to set audible alarms when you go over or under - HRM and Garmins can do that. I'm not sure looking at computers in the dark with the crappy roads we have at the moment is the best move.

Yeah, I've seen them, the 4iii ones. It's a neat Idea, but you have to click them to glasses and pair them with an iPhone, which is more faff, expense, and would no doubt drain the phone batteries pretty quick.

I've tried the audible alarms, but it's a right fiddle to set up and use — switching workouts and the like mid ride. Plus I'd like to be able to see time and HR/Power for intervals.

Yeah it's not that safe peering down at a display like Chris Froome in the dark. That's why I'd like something nice and bright I can see out of the corner of my eye.
  • Cyclosis
    Slowbike wrote:
    Cyclosis wrote:

I found it much better when the GPS was mounted in front of the bars - and when after TT efforts, it was better to reduce the number of readouts to only what was vital (hence larger) - why not put on some Aerobars and mount it on the end of that?

No matter where it's mounted it's still going to need some form of effective back lighting.

I can read the dash on my car very effectively without destroying my night vision.

Shame no one makes basic red LED bike displays like they've started using in a lot of those health monitor wrist bands.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Slowbike wrote:
    Cyclosis wrote:
    Exactly what i thought when I read the 1st post.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Have you tried turning the backlight up on the Garmin?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - I'd have thought that setting up screens with only the information you need for each workout - like just power and time etc and switch between them.

I'd have also thought that if audible alarms are too much of a faff to set up, so would LEDs.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH