Ideas for a semi N+1

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
So I have the 2nd bike, an old cannon total hard mtb (26inch wheels) that has basically a cx chainset (48+12-25), narrowed bars (cut down) and aggressive stem angle and super slicks.

Now I have the mad monkey (the hoy) for roading, I am caught with what to do with this genuine hybrid...

Do I reset it back to being a mtb with knobblies etc and make lots of noise on the racetrack as I scare fcn's half my number (and able to go off road) or convert... to a ss/fixed.

Getting a bonus of sorts this coming payday so pondering options... It's rims/wheels have never been replaced since new and front hub is a bit fecked plus all that braking has worn the rims down of course. It's frame gappage actually likely allows me to put 700/29 wheels in... Of course calipers would then be buggered but disc conversions are then possbile/option. Getting whole new forks is too.

There is part of that thinks a disc front + fixed is an option but it would definitely fit snuggly into the frankenbike range.

N+2 due to space isn't an option sorry, but no doubt you'll still suggest that ;)
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• Leave it be. You have, in an odd way, just described my perfect bike.

The ideal pub bike?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So, you are nursing a semi?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    So, you are nursing a semi?

Merely nursing the idea of one alas... it's cold out there.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    So I have the 2nd bike, an old cannon total hard mtb (26inch wheels) that has basically a cx chainset (48+12-25), narrowed bars (cut down) and aggressive stem angle and super slicks.

Now I have the mad monkey (the hoy) for roading, I am caught with what to do with this genuine hybrid...

Do I reset it back to being a mtb with knobblies etc and make lots of noise on the racetrack as I scare fcn's half my number (and able to go off road) or convert... to a ss/fixed.

Getting a bonus of sorts this coming payday so pondering options... It's rims/wheels have never been replaced since new and front hub is a bit fecked plus all that braking has worn the rims down of course. It's frame gappage actually likely allows me to put 700/29 wheels in... Of course calipers would then be buggered but disc conversions are then possbile/option. Getting whole new forks is too.

There is part of that thinks a disc front + fixed is an option but it would definitely fit snuggly into the frankenbike range.

N+2 due to space isn't an option sorry, but no doubt you'll still suggest that ;)

Is this your normal commute bike? don't get me wrong worrying roadies with the ever closing rumble of nobbly tyres is a fine plan, and some of the XC tyres are quick, I'm slowly getting back into riding on this.

12732720325_b74e041dcc_z.jpg

is very heavy with the Paniers but what slows it down is myself with XC light(ish) tyres it will blat along fine, and even now i'm getting close to allez man/woman speeds on a good day.

decent XC MTB tyres are fast and grippy, but how much offroading do you or would you do? if its just tow paths fattish slicks/mild tread such as Big Apples would seem a good shot?

would the frame be easy to go fixed on? or would it be SS with tensioner?

not sure their is a huge advantage in fitting 700c wheels other than the, shiny must go faster effect. disks yes do make stopping in wet and horrible days quick, and reassuringly hassle free.

rather depends on what you want to do with the bike.
  • MonkeyMonster
    I commute on the hoy now - this would be as a knockabout - actually would lock up outside (carefully) and capable of mtbing if need be, but tow paths perfectly easily too. Part of the total change in regards to discs etc is because of the fact I think I will need to replace both wheels. That allowed for out of the box/field options. I may just ignore those possibilities and stick with replacement narrow rimmed wheels that can handle inch wide slicks but also 2.5+ knobblies...

Ugo - do you make 26 inch wheels too or just 700ers ;)

ta
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I commute on the hoy now - this would be as a knockabout - actually would lock up outside (carefully) and capable of mtbing if need be, but tow paths perfectly easily too. Part of the total change in regards to discs etc is because of the fact I think I will need to replace both wheels. That allowed for out of the box/field options. I may just ignore those possibilities and stick with replacement narrow rimmed wheels that can handle inch wide slicks but also 2.5+ knobblies...

Ugo - do you make 26 inch wheels too or just 700ers ;)

ta

You probably do need new wheels if they are some 16 years old! Clearly there is a point in terms of upgrades vs a new bike for tow paths/parks some nobblies will be more fun. For more serious stuff even the mild stuff in North Downs and the like gets rather rattlely on a rigid.