Change frame/upgrade or buy brand new?

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Got a boardman fs, nothing much wrong with it but im getting more and more keen on MTB and pretty much out 5x a week. So I wont to upgrade, ive been looking at santa cruz and commencal frames. Would it be worth buying one and swapping the frames and upgrading handlebars etc etc.. or is this a complete waste of money and buy a brand new bike?

cheers

Comments

• DunbarKev
    DunbarKev Posts: 29
    I thought I was a fan of building a bike. Last year I picked up a Trek Remedy 9 frame and built a decent bike. By the time I bought all the parts and tools it worked out pretty expensive, even using an existing pair of wheels. Next time I'll buy fully built.

You can pick up last years lower spec Commencal AM or SX for about £1450 on the Commencal web site. Plenty of upgrade options and gives you the option to sell the Boardman.

I am hoping my next bike will be a Santa Cruz.....
  • rhysyd
    rhysyd Posts: 141
    DunbarKev wrote:
    I thought I was a fan of building a bike. Last year I picked up a Trek Remedy 9 frame and built a decent bike. By the time I bought all the parts and tools it worked out pretty expensive, even using an existing pair of wheels. Next time I'll buy fully built.

You can pick up last years lower spec Commencal AM or SX for about £1450 on the Commencal web site. Plenty of upgrade options and gives you the option to sell the Boardman.

I am hoping my next bike will be a Santa Cruz.....
    got any links for them mate? I paid about £600 for the boardman 2nd hand. so I wouldn't mind speding 1.4k on a new bike?