Bottom brackets and chain set help

Zaarg
Zaarg Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, sorry to ask daft questions, but I'm building a new bike and am lacking a lot of the necessary knowledge to ensure I order the correct parts!

I need a bottom bracket and crank set for an 06 Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki frame. I know they came with Truative Howitzer BBs and that the '07 model had a "73mm English shell width".

Basically, I'm looking for help with what this means, and with what set ups I'll be able to run. I was looking at the saint m810 set, that seems to have a 68-73mm bottom bracket. Will it fit? If not can you give me some help with what will?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It'll fit. Just ensure the frame is faced.
  • Zaarg
    Again, forgive the daft questions, how can I tell if the frame is faced?
  • Chunkers1980
    You can't really. You need the tool run over it. Or ruin a few bbs early. Better to get it faced
  • Zaarg
    Sorry, I phrased that badly - what is facing?
  • Chunkers1980
    Just a tool to shave the bb shell so either side is parallel to each other through the middle. LBS' do it as the tool is a more than many many gos
  • Zaarg
    Ah, cool., thanks. I could ask the bike shop to this and fit the parts at the same time presumably.

So if I get the saint crank set, does that affect which other drive chin parts I can fit? Would they all have to be shimano?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Zaarg
    Cool, thanks for the replies!