Merlin cycles Handbuilt Wheels

JMR120600
JMR120600 Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
So. Last night browsing the web, i was looking for some new wheels for my bike. i wanted something decent, and sturdy to go with the new forks i bought mid last year. and i was wondering about these few points:

Is Merlin cycles any good? has anyone got their custom wheels?

is this a good choice (Dont want to spend more than £140 tops)a77531a272b6ffac4fc0aa1b76450a32.png

And is my choice sturdy and well built?

(bike uses rim brakes, hence 'non disc' rims and hubs.)

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    why go plain gauge over the ACI DB spokes?

they won't be light but certainly won't twang.

should check out chainreactioncycles out too. I've got a merlin built wheel sitting in the garage doing nothing now its a hope XC laced to a silver mavic 517 rim ( rim brake rim) with silver ACI DB spokes. had it over 13 years with no trouble what so ever. have had wheels built by CRC too that are just as good.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Merlin sell decent wheels, but I'd also go for the butted spokes at the same price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy37
    andy37 Posts: 120
    Never had wheels from them but Merlin are a great retailer with free delivery on everything.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Cant go wrong with xt hubs, are you planning on staying with rim brakes? could be worth getting a set of disc compatible hubs just in case for the future and may not cost much more. If you want something a bit more heavy duty, the 719 may be better but it will push up the price and they are also a heavy rim. Merlin build nice tight wheels
  • JMR120600
    fizik wrote:
    Cant go wrong with xt hubs, are you planning on staying with rim brakes? could be worth getting a set of disc compatible hubs just in case for the future and may not cost much more. If you want something a bit more heavy duty, the 719 may be better but it will push up the price and they are also a heavy rim. Merlin build nice tight wheels
    Well, i can only do front disc brakes... as my forks allow it.. however my bike doesnt have a rear disc mount... but i have some nice Shimano Acera rim brakes that i put on last year, and they served me well doing all sorts of riding.
    POAH wrote:
    why go plain gauge over the ACI DB spokes?

they won't be light but certainly won't twang.

should check out chainreactioncycles out too. I've got a merlin built wheel sitting in the garage doing nothing now its a hope XC laced to a silver mavic 517 rim ( rim brake rim) with silver ACI DB spokes. had it over 13 years with no trouble what so ever. have had wheels built by CRC too that are just as good.

Ok. ill go with ACI DB Spokes, this is my first time getting anything custom made for a bike, as last year i only got into biking... so i dont really know the difference, hence coming here...
    cooldad wrote:
    Merlin sell decent wheels, but I'd also go for the butted spokes at the same price.

Will do.

So, is this what you would recommend?
    5bed00b013959d30270c285276579106.png
    And would i lose reliability or stability by going with LX Hubs?
  • fizik
    No LX hubs will still be very serviceable and smooth, perhaps just a little heavier but doubt you would notice it. :D
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    merlin build wheels very well, had a pair off them and they are still running true 3 years later
  • JMR120600
    Ok. Well im not bothered too much about weight, as my bike ways 15-20kg... so sure i wouldnt notice much difference with the LX hubs.. is there any disadvantage other than weight?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XT are sealed better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JMR120600
    Well, ill go with XT. as i cant find many good reviews on LX
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    You can use one of these

http://www.tesco.com/direct/a2z-universal-disc-mount/599-9738.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=599-9738&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Bikes%20%26%20Accessories_599-9738kpid=599-9738&sc_cmp=ppc_g_%7Bkeyword%7D_%7Bmatchtype%7D&gclid=CPublZnvqb0CFQ_HtAodeF8ASw

To convert your frame to run a disc brake. I've used one with no problems

Expect you could get one from eBay for chips (or from me!)

Depends what you plan to do in future - but worth considering disc ready hubs and rims
  • JMR120600
    can you post a pic of how it fits... this looks like a good option.
  • JMR120600
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    JMR120600 wrote:

can you not do image searches on your computer :lol:

DSC00992.jpg
  • fizik
    Disc ready hubs wont cost much extra, you can have them laced up to rims such as the above, and you can run v brakes now and discs later with the same set of wheels. Worth it in the long run!