Padding for baggy shorts

thesim1990
thesim1990 Posts: 95
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all,

I have a 2010 Rockhopper Pro which still has the original seat on it, and recently I've found that I'm unable to do long rides. It feels it's tearing me a new arsehole and my bones get so sore that trying to sit on the saddle is very painful. I use baggy shorts and someone has recommended that I get some padding to go in between my skin and the baggy shorts.

I have absolutely no idea about padding so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? And should I get padding or a whole new seat that would be more comfortable than the one I'm using at the moment?

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Over padded saddles don't support your sit bones and feel good for a few minutes then hurt worse.
    Plenty of padded shorts at any bike shop
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You probably do need some padded shorts/inner shorts. You can get inner shorts that can be hidden under your baggies :wink:

I've been using the following for about two years for mountain biking and a fair few road miles:

http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/FUSION-2.0 ... n%20Biking

They have inner shorts with a pad. They've been fine for me for rides of up to 100 miles (although I still get some soreness on the really long rides! :| ).

If you just need the inner shorts, then I think they are something like these:

http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/INNER-Tigh ... ibs-shorts

(although at one point I thought the pad was called POWER and this one seems to be CONTEST)

Other manufacturers will have similar things. DHB stuff from Wiggle is regarded to be good value/performance.
  • sparky543
    sparky543 Posts: 54
    Invest in a good pair of liners or bib shorts to go under your baggies (Endura are a good start) and buy yourself a more comfortable saddle (Charge Spoon seems to be a common favourite). I painfully used the original saddle on my 2011 Rockhopper Pro for a year before I bit the bullet and got a better saddle (Specialized BG Avatar) as I didn't know any better. Love your bum.
  • ryecatcher wrote:
    http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/INNER-Tights/TINNER,default,pd.html?dwvar_TINNER_color=9900&start=18&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-bibs-shorts

(although at one point I thought the pad was called POWER and this one seems to be CONTEST)

Other manufacturers will have similar things. DHB stuff from Wiggle is regarded to be good value/performance.

Thanks for the link. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for I believe, oh and I'll have a look at the charge saddles. :)
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    On longer rides I where my bib shorts under my baggies, no hurts ass for me!!

Although I do need to change the Giant search that thing is pure cr*p lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    endura humvee's job done
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken