Are you proud of your bike?

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited March 2014 in MTB general
I've just finally finished tinkering and tweaking my bike after 3 months of buying, changing and swapping out bits and pieces. Now, everytime I look at it, I think "dayum! That's the bike I've always wanted!". Forget about riding it, looking at all that tech melting together makes me all warm inside!

I'll post a picture later but I'm not the only one am I! I'm sure something will pop up making me wanted to spend more cash but for now.... :mrgreen:

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I like the way mine looks, I have been known to take the occasional pic of it.

DSCN0974copy_zpsf8da017f.jpg

DSCN0956copy2_zpsd0ed5a68.jpg

030920133336copy_zpsdc5959e3.jpg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No - my bike's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster - all mismatched parts and ugly scars.

I enjoy riding it, though, and I'm pretty happy with the spec for the first time in ages - i actually don't have any plans to change anything right now, and think it's the first time I can honestly say that since I started riding two years ago.
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited March 2014
    Love my Canyon. Been through so many guises in the past 2.5 years but it just keeps going.
    I like where it is atm, but still more changes to come!

BPW08032014_zps66241a3d.jpg

20140302_110528_zpsjtibetgu.jpg

Photo's were only taken within the last 2-3 weeks and its already changed slightly. Always room for improvement!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    kammybear wrote:
    I've just finally finished tinkering and tweaking my bike after 3 months of buying, changing and swapping out bits and pieces. Now, everytime I look at it, I think "dayum! That's the bike I've always wanted!". Forget about riding it, looking at all that tech melting together makes me all warm inside!

I'll post a picture later but I'm not the only one am I! I'm sure something will pop up making me wanted to spend more cash but for now.... :mrgreen:

Have you given your bike a girls name yet?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    No; it's just a bike. It gets me down trails.
  • Yeah I am pretty content with mine considering its only the third 'off the shelf' bike I've ever owned!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I couldn't care less how my bikes look. It's all about how they ride. My Scalp rides exactly how I want it to and my Mega will once the shock has been tuned.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    edited March 2014
    I am proud of my steed, however this doesn't stop me chopping and changing. Recently it's had a new stem, new pedals and reverb fitted. However I am running out of things to do to it, last real thing I want to do is a Fox Float 34 set to 150mm for a little more front stiffness, however, this does seem a bit too much money to justify for the time being.
    Built my first bike at 20 as a student, and built this current bike at 21, still a student. Worked my ass off all summer, scoped the internet for deals, built the best bit of kit I could afford to and threw every penny at it. I may still change bits and bobs, but totally love it :D

vAM2kt0.jpg?1
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm proud of both my bikes. I worked my ass to be able to afford my Ibis, as 19 year old when I bought it, it was cool knowing I had an awesome bike that I put every penny towards. It's taken me all over the UK, across Wales and I'm gonna be seriously sad to let it go later in the year to fund my next bike, in an ideal I'd keep at least the frame like I did with my old HT, but I think I'd soon run out of room if I did that! :lol:

I always build to my own spec, so my bikes unique and they ride and look almost exactly how I want them too, which when you're blowing serious change on a bike I think it should do. It's a pretty cool feeling being able to look at your bike knowing you saved for it, you built it and it's just how you want it.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890

Nice photos, I'm sure even Boardman would be happy with those.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I couldn't care less how my bikes look. It's all about how they ride.

That wasn't what he asked.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    No; it's just a bike. It gets me down trails.

Mine gets me up as well
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I couldn't care less how my bikes look. It's all about how they ride. .

Goes for the females in your life too lol

Time scale on getting shock back?
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Im a bit proud of mine, like others on here i worked and spent every penny on the bike. Still wasnt enough, theres also a birthdays presents worth of bits on there. I think i did well considering my pressed budget. Did get helped out by a few people though, which i am appreciative about.

Im proud of it because i built it myself and have managed to repair/maintain it fairly well, and is still an awesome ride. I was (sort of still am) considering a frame swap to a 456 or Zaskar, but ive started to really like this. I think i just hated it during the muddy period, but now that everything has dried up somewhat at least for the last 2-3 rides its really fun.

I had loads of fun on it today. A bit of downhill (nothing serious) on muddy trails on schwalbe city jets. Fighting to keep the bike straight and stuff. Also had a few goes on small jumps. BTW, i had city jets on as we are doing light XC and fireroads for 80% of our rides at the moment, as its good for cardio, and the mud is killing our bikes.

DSC_0097_zpslqtlzufj.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsem8uzgxr.jpg
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    kammybear wrote:

No but I've given my girl a bikes name.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I'm a bit proud of my bike and proud that I built it from frame upwards with confidence but not much knowledge to the extent that I now know a little about every component. I'm proud of my other bike because I bought it as a reward for getting a job when it did not look likely that I would do so and I am proud of it for taking me on my challenge in the Olympic year of cycling 2012 miles. More so I am proud of them because of my increased stamina, fitness and strength. Looks like I'm proud of me!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • gt-arrowhead
    FishFish wrote:
    kammybear wrote:

Did you call her Inbred?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Probably his own hand job
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    FishFish wrote:
    kammybear wrote:

RockRider?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I am, and enjoy looking at them!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I am proud of my bikes, they are not everyone's cup of tea (everyone seems to hate citrus based bikes) but I could just look at it and spend time maintaining it all day! Same with my roadies.
  • 97th choice
    All joking aside, I am actually pretty proud of my bike, mainly because after making a few bike purchases that were less than satisfactory mine exceeded my expectations, and has continued to be more and more fun as I've upgraded. Now it's pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Plus I love the mechanical/tinkering side of mountain biking as well as the adrenaline/endorphin rush.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Kowalski675

Nice photos, I'm sure even Boardman would be happy with those.

Thanks. The first two are at Gisburn, just taken with my old Nikon compact, the third's local, taken with my 6 year old Nokia. A few quick minor adjustments to levels, saturation and contrast in Photoshop. I keep meaning to take the bike back to that third spot with my SLR and tripod and take a couple of long exposure pics to take advantage of the moving water.
  • Kowalski675
    FishFish wrote:
    kammybear wrote:

Did you call her Inbred?

:lol: I like that one.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    FishFish wrote:
    kammybear wrote:

Stumpjumper?

But that's more to do with you than her... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • 97th choice
    Stinky?

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    FishFish wrote:
    kammybear wrote:

Piglet?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Genius (just to add a positive one!)

I'm proud of mine, all my bikes are home built, while the 2 'daily riders' haven't been perfect straight away they are both now much better at their respective jobs than anything I could buy off the shelf for anywhere near the same money.

The retro is still work in progress but the town hack bike is suitably fast and suitably cheap looking to make it worthy of it's name!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Very proud of my Rockhopper, my first introduction to the world of mtb was borrowed knackered old things from a mate who I ride with, I took the plunge in 2012 and bought my Specialized and upgraded as I gained more experience, replaced the dart3 fork with a new set of Reba solo air which transformed the bike and added grips a seat and experimenting with tyres as I go on.
    I class myself as a noob but gaining confidence/experience all the time!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • gt-arrowhead
    The Rookie wrote:
    The retro is still work in progress but the town hack bike is suitably fast and suitably cheap looking to make it worthy of it's name!

Retro bikes are always good. You should make a thread of it when you finish it, would be nice.

I havent been on my Arrowhead since October. Look at it the poor thing.

DSC_0035_zpsjljpgf6d.jpg

Thinking of getting it sorted out again. Would be its 6th or 7th return from being taken apart :P Do sort of miss it. Would make a decent XC bike with loads of chrome bits and bobs + skin colored side wall tyres on it to make it look retro.