Pedal/Crank Threads

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Replacing my BB today and thought I'd give the pedals and crank a proper clean with them off the bike. Took the pedals off and the threads are different sizes and not just a bit but quite a lot. Will measure the threads tomorrow but I suspect the larger one was drilled and re-tapped at some point for some reason. The pedals have seen better days and will need replacing soon but now not sure how I can do this without buying another axle with the larger thread - do these even exist?

The cranks are Truvativ Ruktions so wondering if I'm just best replacing them altogether?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    One of the threads in the cranks is larger diameter? If you want to fit new pedals with standard axles then I'd guess your only option other than replacing the cranks would be a helicoil insert, if they're available in the right size.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    if it was my bike. I'd buy new crank personally. However if cash it tight, a helicoil is the way to go
  • ab20000
    Yeah I'd thought about helicoil as well but don't really want to take a chance on the cranks. Should be able to pick up a used set for a decent price. Don't really want to be messing around with new axles on one side.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have unscrewed the insert and it is stuck on the pedal.

No biggie when you put it all back together.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    if pedals are identical, it is highly unlikey there will be axles that have different thread diameters (one will be LH and other RH in same diameter)

What NL says is highly plausible - are you able to post photos of each pedal?
  • ab20000
    Yeah it was the insert. Didn't even think of that when I looked at first.
    Thanks guys!