BB30 cranks and advise

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking to utilise the cannondales BB30 frame and running a true BB30 by removing the ET insert

What options are out there for 104bcd or specific narrow wide ring to come with cranks for sensible cash ?

All mountain riding, lighter the better ...

Is it even worth going BB30 or should I just adapt to 24mm using a press fit adaptor and then run a SLX hollowtech or something.

How much better is BB30 over 24mm ?

Any advise appreciated

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a PF30 bottom bracket (SRAMs version of BB30) and bearing life has been shocking now on my 3rd set after only 7 months. I am thinking of getting adapters to go to a Shimano XT or SLX crankset. I have noticed no advantages over 24mm cranks.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I went from sram bb30 x9 to fsa mega exo ceramic external bearings .used an fsa adapter. Main reason is I can now clean , lube or replace bearings myself.one of the bb30 sram bearings was starting to go. No way was I going to invest in tools to remove bb30 bearings . Chain reaction had a good deal on Fsa carbon crankset . Not only lighter but spins beautifully and gear change is really slick.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    BB30 has a few advantages - less weight, stiffer and lower q-factor. Whether or not you'll feel the difference though is another matter, I've run it and never have.... In fact it was a pain in the ar*se with noisy, squeaking, clicking bearings that failed regularly. Got my back up so much I sold the frame.... But that was my experience.

Crankset wise - cannondales sisl, rotor 3d, fsa k force light, lightning, clavicula... Quite a few out there just use google.
  • That kind of backs up my train of thought and also I dot really want to be spending z£500 on cranks for my first bike hardly seems logical to spend 1/4 of the bikes total rrp

So I will have a bb30 she'll that needs to be taken to 24mm for shimano so something like this z?

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/kcnc-bb30 ... y4AFssgGSM

Or this seems to get fantastic reviews

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... tAodYHUA3A

Then a bottom bracket ?
  • miceden
    You dont need to shell out £500 for a BB30 crankset... look at CRC for the K-force light as last time I saw they were selling on there for £250ish, look at rczbikeshop.com and dulight.fr for the rotor cranks, ebay is your best bet for sisl's and as for the others I mentioned you will have to part with a lot more money.

The KCNC adapter you gave a link to is essentially a bottom bracket so you will not need a bottom bracket in addition to it, just install it and put the cranks on.... as for the wheels manufacturing BB30 adapter, again you dont need a bottom bracket but to use these you will need BB30 bearings installed in your frame, these adapters then slide into/sit in the BB30 bearings, all these do is reduce the internal diameter of the BB30 bearings from 30mm to 24mm.

I've tried the Wheels manufacturing adapters and they do work, but, as you still have to use BB30 bearings there is the possibility of all the associated problems with them. Personally I would give the KCNC adapter a go.

The only thing you would need in addition to the adapters is possibly some spacers but that, and how many, will depend on the crank you use - I know of 2mm spacers with an internal diameter of 24mm if you need them, just message me.
  • Thanks for the info mate much appreciated

I've decided to go with SLX cranks best weight for the money and stay away from bb30

Now looking for a lightweight version of the kCnc adaptor above.

Or an adaptor that allows me to use a bottom bracket I choose ( this may be the preferred method so if you have problems you can change bb and not be tied to the adaptor and bb combo )

Any advise or links here mate ?
  • miceden
    Ok, if you want to choose your own bb then what you need to install is a sleave, one of these - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

But I would advise against it, primarily because its semi permanent as you have to bond it and you need special tools to fit and remove it (look on fsa's site), only do it if you are competent otherwise you will damage things... also... this sleave + a bb is going to be heavier than something like the KCNC adapter at 130g and the sleave will void the warranty on your frame if you still have one.
  • miceden wrote:
    Ok, if you want to choose your own bb then what you need to install is a sleave, one of these - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

But I would advise against it, primarily because its semi permanent as you have to bond it and you need special tools to fit and remove it (look on fsa's site), only do it if you are competent otherwise you will damage things... also... this sleave + a bb is going to be heavier than something like the KCNC adapter at 130g and the sleave will void the warranty on your frame if you still have one.

Ok great

Thanks for this great help I will get something like the KCNC one I thought it was 300g ?! That's why I wanted something lighter :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Thought I'd resurrect an old thread than start a new one.

Been looking at options to use my shimano crank in a bb30 frame and not sure what's best to buy?

Looked at praxis works and kcnc adapters they look like a whole bottom bracket or use them rsp bb30 to shimano adapters as the frame still has some bearings pressed in.

Frame is only a boardman hardtail I've had for a while and got a lot of spare bits that I was going put on it.

those praxis/kcnc adapters do they have replaceable bearings or do you have to buy a new one every time the bearings wear?

Just stuck on bottom bracket choice as i'm already to build it up.

Cheers for any advice you can give
  • stubs
    I have a Praxxis converter on my Trek. The bearings are replaceable the converter screws together and becomes a bottom bracket clamping itself against the frame. Mine hasnt made a noise in 18 months of use unlike the original shitty Trek BB which lasted 3 muddy rides before rusting and creaking. You need two good quality Hollow Tech tools to fit though as you need to crank it up tight I used an original Shimano tool and a Superstar Socket. The cheap ones pressed out of steel sheet and shaped like a C are no good they can twist.

http://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/hollowtech-2-socket-tool.htm
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The problem with BB30 is that is you have any water ingress, it collects in the BB and immerses the bearings, rapidly reducing their life - therefore you really want to avoid using the original bearings. At least with the Praxis/KCNC adaptors you don't have this worry.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • swod1
    So are the bearings in the praxis standard so any bearing shop would sell them?

The kcnc adapters are similar but cheaper, don't really want to spend too much but will if they last longer and avoids creaking/flexing adapters.

No probs on tools I've got for some reason two park tool bb spanners in my tool box
  • swod1
    Monty Dog wrote:
    The problem with BB30 is that is you have any water ingress, it collects in the BB and immerses the bearings, rapidly reducing their life - therefore you really want to avoid using the original bearings. At least with the Praxis/KCNC adaptors you don't have this worry.

Well makes you wonder why bike makers use this on frames if all you end up with is creaking and worn out bearings.

Yeah going to take out the original bearings as doubt they'll be any good to use.
  • stubs
    swod1 wrote:

Well makes you wonder why bike makers use this on frames if all you end up with is creaking and worn out bearings.

Because its cheaper to manufacture. They work on road bikes not on MTBs

You can swap the bearings on the praxxis converter they are standard size and you can find them on ebay for not a lot of money
  • swod1
    I'll double check the bb shell size but does the 73mm size come with spacers?

I've read you can't use the 68mm on a mtb?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I have a Praxis converter on my road bike, and it's just perfect. The bearings are replaceable but I imagine some sort of special tool is required to get them out.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • swod1
    I'm still unsure what to buy as there is also the wheels manufacturing bb30 to shimano bottom bracket using enduro bearings.

Can someone clear up for me is bb30 and press fit 30 the same thing?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    swod1 wrote:
    Can someone clear up for me is bb30 and press fit 30 the same thing?

No, they're subtly different to the extent that an adapter for one won't necessarily fit the other
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • swod1
    Giraffoto wrote:
    No, they're subtly different to the extent that an adapter for one won't necessarily fit the other

I see so I need to order the bb30 to shimano adapter.

Now which size 68 or 73mm, will the praxis 73mm come with spacers I wonder?

Looking to order it so I can get bike built up end of this week