Front mech and chainset problems

gunny_bedford
gunny_bedford Posts: 347
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I had a 10 speed double sram 42 - 28 chainset on my tomac carbide when I purchased it, the rings were worn which became an issue when I changed the chain and cassette ( chain suck) so I thought it was time to replace with a preferred shimano one .
I got a slx 38 - 24 as I wanted easier gearing . However with the smaller rings come a problem! The carbide had the front mech fitted on a small "stub " which is fitted to the rear triangle, so is not on the down tube like most bikes. This stub is quite small, when my lbs fitted the new cranks the could not drop the front mech lower to the desired height above the rings due to the stubs location. They thought it might cause shifting problems . I thought it would cause issues with front ring changing but that is fine. I have problems with rear shifts I can't get the last 2 big cogs on the rear cassettes in either front ring. So is this the result of the front mech being too high ? Or is this a problem with the set up of the gearing post crank change ? I don't really want to go back to bigger front rings if I can help it , is there another cunning way around the problem ?
Thanks Neil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So bigger big cogs on the rear, and no rear mech change? Is the mech capable? What us it?

What happens at the front has very little to do with the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's a 10 speed xt long cage not sure of the exact model no off the top of my head, it's in good nick. The cassette is a xt 11 -36 (new) the front mech is slx 10 speed double. Has the chain been cut wrong ? Or something else I am assuming a 11 - 36 rear mech will work with a 38 -24 crank ?
  • Is it a direct mount front mech ?could it be a chainline alignment issue.
  • No it's a band on front mech but don't quote me what type I think top pull
  • If it's chain mis alignment I guess could be due to the front mech being too high ? And the chain sitting in the cage at the wrong part ?? It's just I thought it would screw front shifts not rear !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the rear mech?
    Go look.

Again the front mech has no effect.

Rear mech. Cable or cassette issue/set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Have you sized the chain to account for new set up.?