Vision Metron 40 or Dura Ace 9000 C35 CL?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Which would you go for and why?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Tubulars,because I like riding tubulars more than clinchers.Other from that nothing really.They seem to have similar weight.

Dura Ace maybe for training because of "easier" changing of tube or tyre and alu braking surface on the rain.

Oh,and Vision has 2:1 rear wheel spoke ratio.I hate that,I have 2 sets of Fulcrums with that rear wheel ratio(Racing 5 and Red wind "aero").Both of them had spoke snapped on ND side, and I'm about 70kg.None of them had serious crash or hole hits.
  • Father Faff
    I'm 85kg - do you reckon the Dura Aces are stronger?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Re the DA C 35: You are paying top of the range money for a top of the range set of hubs that will have to be binned once the rims are worn.
    The aero benefit of a 35 mm clincher is pretty much irrelevant and the weight of the set is in line with other wheels that cost a fraction of these... so what exactly are you spending a grand for?

That is my question...
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would never pay such silly prices for a set of wheels.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • so what exactly are you spending a grand for?

That is my question...

Big logo's?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    so what exactly are you spending a grand for?

That is my question...

Big logo's?

My 50mm carbon tub wheels only cost £350 but they are "decal free", which is obviously the reason they cost so little. :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I have a pair of the 7900 C35 and I also have the C24s. I rarely use the C35s as they are heavier than the c24s and there doesn't seem to be that much aero advantage. If you are looking for aero wheels then go properly deep section rims, otherwise I think the c24s at circa £400 cheaper are a better option than the C35. I am a similar weight as you and haven't had any flex issues with the C24.
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I'm 85kg - do you reckon the Dura Aces are stronger?

I don't know,but I have bad expirience with my wheels.Altough,Dura ace are overpriced and probably there are better wheels for that price.Maybe 2nd hand?
    I bought Bora Ultra Two for price of the C35 CL(in Italy altough :roll: ).
  • Father Faff
    Re the DA C 35: You are paying top of the range money for a top of the range set of hubs that will have to be binned once the rims are worn.
    The aero benefit of a 35 mm clincher is pretty much irrelevant and the weight of the set is in line with other wheels that cost a fraction of these... so what exactly are you spending a grand for?

That is my question...

I know very little about wheels but am considering an expensive bike that I can't really afford with those options. Suggest some cheaper wheels that will climb well, be strong for rough roads, go fast, be light and look good!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ugo.santalucia
    For everyday riders who do club rides and sportives and who go far rather than fast (20 mph is not fast), a 23-25 mm wide rims has way more benefits than a deep rim.
    This is probably the best wide rim on the market

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... er_reviews

they can be run as clinchers or tubeless. As built they are extremely expensive, but you can have the HED + rims built on hubs of your choice for a lot less than that... I'd say 500-700 and that includes Dura Ace hubs. Enquire with Just Riding Along, they do stock those rims
  • Father Faff
    A 20 mph on the Etape Pennines would be fast! But yes I do sportives, club rides, the odd short time trial and triathlon.I do want strong and lightish wheels that are good for the hills and won't buckle if I hit a bump or two going at 50+ downhill. Aero is not particulalry important though if they were a bit aero as well that would be cool but as it is also quite windy round here I wouldn't want deep rims.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ugo.santalucia
    I said my piece...
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    A 20 mph on the Etape Pennines would be fast! But yes I do sportives, club rides, the odd short time trial and triathlon.I do want strong and lightish wheels that are good for the hills and won't buckle if I hit a bump or two going at 50+ downhill. Aero is not particulalry important though if they were a bit aero as well that would be cool but as it is also quite windy round here I wouldn't want deep rims.

Then you should get Belgiums, Archetypes or SL23's built on DA9000 hubs.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg