9 speed triple or 10 speed triple

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
im thinking of buying a carbon frame and building it to my spec i prefer 9 speed shimano shifters in silver but they seem hard to find new, as most are 10 speed now, im also thinking of getting a triple like my bike has now 50 42 30 9 speed, has anyone got 10 speed and if so have they had problems with the last smallest sprocket.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'm running a triple with a 10-speed back block on a plastic frame; on the middle chainring I get a little rubbing on #1 and #10 but apart from that it's fine.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    I run a D-A 7800 10-speed triple. It just works - no problem.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    DesWeller wrote:
    I'm running a triple with a 10-speed back block on a plastic frame; on the middle chainring I get a little rubbing on #1 and #10 but apart from that it's fine.
    Doesn't the front shifter have a trim function to prevent the rub? Purists will say you shouldn't be cross-chaining like this anyway but I say its your bike ride it how you like.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Sprool wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Doesn't the front shifter have a trim function to prevent the rub? Purists will say you shouldn't be cross-chaining like this anyway but I say its your bike ride it how you like.

The chainring is in the middle of the back block, so it's actually not a lot of cross-chaining (no worse than with a double or compact).

The rub is very minor, the chain just kisses the front mech.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    Campag 10 speed works a treat with a triple

Barrie