Decision on Focus Cayo Evo.

Rydeadeye
Rydeadeye Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at purchasing a new steed for a number of weeks now and finally decided on the Focus Cayo Evo. I originally wanted the Focus Cayo Evo 3.0 with Ultegra retailing at £1599.99 but it has sold out pretty much everywhere in a 54 and Focus will not be building anymore.

So instead of the Cayo Evo 3.0 I was looking to purchase the Cayo Evo 4.0 which has Shimano 105 but upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum Racing 3's. I've been quoted a price for this of around £1650. However when enquiring at another shop I've now been quoted a decent price for the Cayo Evo 2.0 which retails for £1999.

Question is, what is the best option here? Do I go with my original plan and purchase the Cayo Evo 4.0 and upgrade the wheels, which will shave a fair bit of weight off. Or pay slightly more for the discounted Cayo Evo 2.0 with full Ultegra.

For info the Cayo 4.0 comes with Fulcrum WH-CEX 7.0 and the Cayo 2.0 comes with Fulcrum WH-CEX 6.5.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    Rydeadeye wrote:
    I've been looking at purchasing a new steed for a number of weeks now and finally decided on the Focus Cayo Evo. I originally wanted the Focus Cayo Evo 3.0 with Ultegra retailing at £1599.99 but it has sold out pretty much everywhere in a 54 and Focus will not be building anymore.

So instead of the Cayo Evo 3.0 I was looking to purchase the Cayo Evo 4.0 which has Shimano 105 but upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum Racing 3's. I've been quoted a price for this of around £1650. However when enquiring at another shop I've now been quoted a decent price for the Cayo Evo 2.0 which retails for £1999.

Question is, what is the best option here? Do I go with my original plan and purchase the Cayo Evo 4.0 and upgrade the wheels, which will shave a fair bit of weight off. Or pay slightly more for the discounted Cayo Evo 2.0 with full Ultegra.

For info the Cayo 4.0 comes with Fulcrum WH-CEX 7.0 and the Cayo 2.0 comes with Fulcrum WH-CEX 6.5.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers. :)

If your definite about your size have a word with these guys and see if they can get the bike you originally wanted.

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... 18997.aspx
  • Rydeadeye
    Cheers for the link. I forgot to add that I'm also using a halfords bike 2 work voucher that I'm going to top up. This limits where I have been able to look. However i'll check with Primera Sports as they might take it.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    What's the difference between the 2 Ultegra versions ?
    Seen a 2014 Focus with sram force 22 and fizik finishing kit which looks nice but is £2400
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Rydeadeye
    The Cayo 2.0 is:

Bottom Bracket:PF30
    Brake Levers:Shimano Ultegra
    Cassette:Shimano Ultegra 11/28
    Chain:Shimano Ultegra
    Chainrings:FSA Energy Focus
    Chainset Type:Standard (52/36)
    Chainset:FSA Energy Focus
    ColourCarbon / Red
    Fork:Focus CRF Carbon T4
    Frame:Cayo Evo Carbon
    Front Brake:Shimano Ultegra
    Front Derailleur:Shimano Ultegra
    Front Hub:Fulcrum
    Front TyreSchwalbe Durano S Foldable
    Handlebars:Concept EX
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears22
    Rear Tyre:Schwalbe Durano S Foldable
    Rims:Fulcrum WH-CEX 6.5
    Saddle:Concept EX
    Seatpost:Concept EX
    Shifter TypeShimano Ultegra
    Size:48cm, 51cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm
    Stem:Concept EX Stem
    Wheel Size700c Wheel
    Model Year:2014
    Rear Brake:Shimano Ultegra
    Rear Hub:Fulcrum
    Rear DerailleurShimano Ultegra
    Brake Type:Rim

The Cayo 3.0 has:

Size:60cm, 48cm, 51cm, 54cm, 57cm
    Wheel Size700c Wheel
    BrandFocus
    GenderUnisex
    Cassette:Shimano Ultegra 39/53-11/25 34/50-11/28
    Chainrings:FSA Gossamer Focus
    Chainset Type:Compact (50/34), Standard (53/39)
    Chainset:Shimano Ultegra
    ColourCarbon / Acidgreen
    Fork:Focus CRF Carbon T4 Forks
    Front TyreSchwalbe Lugano
    Handlebars:Concept EX Handlebars
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears22
    Rear Tyre:Schwalbe Lugano
    Rims:Fulcrum
    Saddle:Concept EX Saddle
    Seatpost:Concept EX Seatpost
    Shifter TypeShimano Ultegra Shifters

Cayo 4.0

Brake Levers:Shimano 105
    Cassette:Shimano 105 11/28
    Chain:Shimano 105
    Chainrings:FSA
    Chainset Type:Compact (50/34)
    Chainset:Shimano 105
    ColourCarbon / Grey
    Frame:Cayo Evo Carbon Frameset
    Front Brake:Shimano 105
    Front Derailleur:Shimano 105
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears20
    Shifter TypeShimano 105
    Wheel Size700c Wheel
    Rear Brake:Shimano 105
    Rear DerailleurShimano 105
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2014
    The two models of Fulcrum wheels are pretty much identical, so don't let them sway your decision. The WH-CEX 6.5s are OEM 2013 Fulcrum 7s, but with better hub seals. I would imagine that the WH-CEX 7.0s will be the OEM versions of the 2014 Fulcrum 7s, which are a smidge lighter. My Cayo Evo came with the former and I've found them to be decent wheels, if a little heavy (good for winter though). I swap them out for a pair of 1550g wheels for summer. They do bring the bike alive and the frame deserves the better wheels.

I personally think that the 3.0 offers the best value (although you've not said what price you can get the 2.0 for). If the shop is offering the 4.0 with Fulcrum 3s for £1650, that's a £250 premium. But, if you shop around you can get Campag Zondas (the same wheel) later on for around £270 and you can also buy your own preferred brand of tyre. According to reports, 6800 Ultegra is a big step up from 5700 105 and worth the extra. It all depends on what discount you are being offered, as the 2.0 is £600 more expensive at RRP which isn't justified in the spec difference, seeing as you can buy a full 6800 groupset for the same amount and have the 105 stuff left over for a winter build or to sell on.

At the end of the day though, it could be just down to which frame colour you like the look of the most.
  • Rydeadeye wrote:
    The Cayo 2.0 is:

Cassette:Shimano Ultegra 11/28
    Chainrings:FSA Energy Focus
    Chainset Type:Standard (52/36)
    Chainset:FSA Energy Focus
    ColourCarbon / Red
    Front TyreSchwalbe Durano S Foldable
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears22
    Rear Tyre:Schwalbe Durano S Foldable
    Rims:Fulcrum WH-CEX 6.5
    Shifter TypeShimano Ultegra
    Wheel Size700c Wheel

The Cayo 3.0 has:

Size:60cm, 48cm, 51cm, 54cm, 57cm
    Wheel Size700c Wheel
    BrandFocus
    GenderUnisex
    Cassette:Shimano Ultegra 39/53-11/25 34/50-11/28
    Chainrings:FSA Gossamer Focus
    Chainset Type:Compact (50/34), Standard (53/39)
    Chainset:Shimano Ultegra
    ColourCarbon / Acidgreen
    Fork:Focus CRF Carbon T4 Forks
    Handlebars:Concept EX Handlebars
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears22
    Saddle:Concept EX Saddle
    Seatpost:Concept EX Seatpost
    Shifter TypeShimano Ultegra Shifters

Cayo 4.0

Brake Levers:Shimano 105
    Cassette:Shimano 105 11/28
    Chain:Shimano 105
    Chainrings:FSA
    Chainset Type:Compact (50/34)
    Chainset:Shimano 105
    ColourCarbon / Grey
    Frame:Cayo Evo Carbon Frameset
    Front Brake:Shimano 105
    Front Derailleur:Shimano 105
    Material Carbon Fibre
    Number of Gears20
    Shifter TypeShimano 105
    Wheel Size700c Wheel
    Rear Brake:Shimano 105
    Rear DerailleurShimano 105

The 3:0 has the option of Standard (53/39) chainset
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Rydeadeye
    DKay wrote:
    The two models of Fulcrum wheels are pretty much identical, so don't let them sway your decision. The WH-CEX 6.5s are OEM 2013 Fulcrum 7s, but with better hub seals. I would imagine that the WH-CEX 7.0s will be the OEM versions of the 2014 Fulcrum 7s, which are a smidge lighter. My Cayo Evo came with the former and I've found them to be decent wheels, if a little heavy (good for winter though). I swap them out for a pair of 1550g wheels for summer. They do bring the bike alive and the frame deserves the better wheels.

I personally think that the 3.0 offers the best value (although you've not said what price you can get the 2.0 for). If the shop is offering the 4.0 with Fulcrum 3s for £1650, that's a £250 premium. But, if you shop around you can get Campag Zondas (the same wheel) later on for around £270 and you can also buy your own preferred brand of tyre. According to reports, 6800 Ultegra is a big step up from 5700 105 and worth the extra. It all depends on what discount you are being offered, as the 2.0 is £600 more expensive at RRP which isn't justified in the spec difference, seeing as you can buy a full 6800 groupset for the same amount and have the 105 stuff left over for a winter build or to sell on.

At the end of the day though, it could be just down to which frame colour you like the look of the most.

Cheers for the advice so far. I've been offered the Evo 2.0 at £1799, so £200 off basically. although I probably like the Evo 4.0 frame better. The Fulcrum racing 5s are 1555g in weight which is pretty decent. Even paying the discounted £1799 for the Evo 2.0, I still think the wheels need upgrading on it. Is it worth paying the extra for Ultegra over 105?

Btw, I'm doing a lot of mileage atm as I'm training for Iron Man UK and I'm also training for the Fred Whitton in May too.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    105 will probably be 11spd next year so it doesn't make sense to go for that.
    What about the addicts at westbrook ?
    £1400 11spd di2 or 1200 with standard 6800 I think.
    You can get cheap bars and stem and saddle to start with and some rs81s roughly within budget.
    There's some 2013 de rosa r838 athena about for under 2k or you could build the deda gladiatore frame with 6800, rs81 wheels within budget.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Galatzo wrote:
    You can get cheap bars and stem and saddle to start with and some rs81s roughly within budget.
    There's some 2013 de rosa r838 athena about for under 2k or you could build the deda gladiatore frame with 6800, rs81 wheels within budget.
    Rydeadeye wrote:
    Cheers for the link. I forgot to add that I'm also using a halfords bike 2 work voucher that I'm going to top up. This limits where I have been able to look.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DKay
    edited March 2014
    Westbrook do Cycle Scheme, but not sure about the Halfords vouchers. Also, it's the Foils (not Addicts) with are on sale. Finally, you'll need to add 10% back on if using a Cycle Scheme voucher on their sale items.
  • DKay
    Rydeadeye wrote:
    Cheers for the advice so far. I've been offered the Evo 2.0 at £1799, so £200 off basically. although I probably like the Evo 4.0 frame better. The Fulcrum racing 5s are 1555g in weight which is pretty decent. Even paying the discounted £1799 for the Evo 2.0, I still think the wheels need upgrading on it. Is it worth paying the extra for Ultegra over 105?

Btw, I'm doing a lot of mileage atm as I'm training for Iron Man UK and I'm also training for the Fred Whitton in May too.

Even with the discount, I still don't think that the 2.0 is worth the extra £400 over the 4.0. The frame and fork are the same, as is all of the of the finishing kit (as far as i can tell). The only real differences are the Ultegra bits, the chainset (meh) and the tyres, the latter of which will only cost you around £40 to upgrade yourself.

If it were my money, I'd go for the 4.0 with the upgraded wheels. You then have the Fulcrum 7s for winter too. You even like the frame colours better. If you like the way your bike looks, you'll ride it more. If you want most of the operational benefits of the 6800 Ultegra stuff, then buy the Shimano polymer gear cables when funds allow. Who really needs 11 gears anyway?

Edit: http://road.cc/content/review/114669-sh ... 0-groupset
  • Rydeadeye
    DKay wrote:
    Rydeadeye wrote:

Even with the discount, I still don't think that the 2.0 is worth the extra £400 over the 4.0. The frame and fork are the same, as is all of the of the finishing kit (as far as i can tell). The only real differences are the Ultegra bits, the chainset (meh) and the tyres, the latter of which will only cost you around £40 to upgrade yourself.

If it were my money, I'd go for the 4.0 with the upgraded wheels. You then have the Fulcrum 7s for winter too. You even like the frame colours better. If you like the way your bike looks, you'll ride it more. If you want most of the operational benefits of the 6800 Ultegra stuff, then buy the Shimano polymer gear cables when funds allow. Who really needs 11 gears anyway?

I agree, it seems too much cash for the ultegra groupset but not much else as the frame is the same. The key thing is frame and forks, then wheels, that's where I'll save on weight as well. Cheers for your advice!
  • DKay
    You're welcome. What I did with my Cayo, is buy the 2013 6.0 and accumulated a full 6700 groupset and various carbon bits over time via the classifieds and I saved loads. I then swapped over everything and I now have enough bits to form the basis of a winter build and a Cayo with a better spec than the 1.0, but at a much cheaper price.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the Cayo 1.0 with 6800 and its a great bike.
    Be interesting to see which you go for

Matt
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    DKay wrote:
    You're welcome. What I did with my Cayo, is buy the 2013 6.0 and accumulated a full 6700 groupset and various carbon bits over time via the classifieds and I saved loads. I then swapped over everything and I now have enough bits to form the basis of a winter build and a Cayo with a better spec than the 1.0, but at a much cheaper price.

What wheels did you put on it? I have a 2013 Cayo Evo 6.0 and am thinking about upgrading the wheels.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Well this thread got my backside into gear and if you don't mind a trip across the pennines then give Northern Ride a call http://www.northernride.com/default.asp

It's a new shop openned up last summer, great pair of lads (father/son), and I know they have atleast one cayo 3 medium instock. Think they do the halfords C2work vouchures too. I pick mine up over the weekend ;)
  • DKay
    edited March 2014
    wandsworth wrote:
    DKay wrote:

What wheels did you put on it? I have a 2013 Cayo Evo 6.0 and am thinking about upgrading the wheels.

I bought a pair of Chinese carbon clinchers (38/50mm) from Yishunbike. They've been great so far 14months and 3000miles in, but do your research first if you want to go the same route. In current spec. the only thing original left on my 6.0, are the frame and forks.

IMAG1386_zpsdbb1b5f4.jpg
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    Picked up my Cayo just over a year ago now. Have upgraded to DA C24 wheels, carbon seat post and bars, upgraded the brakes to Ultegra to match everything else. I love it. Whichever model you go for I'm sure you will enjoy it! Have fun!!
  • Rydeadeye
    wandsworth wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I've gone for the Cayo Evo 4.0 with the Fulcrum racings 3.0s on. It's on order from Germany so just waiting for the delivery. Can't wait to get it and get out on it!

Will let you know how it rides.
  • Rydeadeye
    Galatzo wrote:

I spoke to Westbrook cycles but they don't do the Halfords C2W voucher unfortunately.
  • Rydeadeye
    DKay wrote:
    Rydeadeye wrote:

If I wanted to upgrad to Ultegra 11 speed, changing rear & front derailleur, cassette and chain, how much would I be looking at?
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    DKay wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I bought a pair of Chinese carbon clinchers (38/50mm) from Yishunbike. They've been great so far 14months and 3000miles in, but do your research first if you want to go the same route. In current spec. the only thing original left on my 6.0, are the frame and forks.

IMAG1386_zpsdbb1b5f4.jpg

Thanks. Looks nice!

Just to add, I love my Cayo Evo 6.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • DKay
    wandsworth wrote:
    IMAG1386_zpsdbb1b5f4.jpg

Thanks. Looks nice!

Just to add, I love my Cayo Evo 6.

Thanks man. I love mine too. It's a great blend of compliance and stiffness.