Rockshox RS-1

Comments

• Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    I don't think so. The photos of the fork is shown with a hub, none of the other Rock Shox launch photos are shown with a hub. That leads me to believe there is a propriety hub with this fork (I didn't ask him about that), so there must be some new axle standard

It will use a 15mmx110mm hub. Someone who also has a friend in the know has written it on another forum.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Im guessing the extra 10 mm in the hub is a 5mm slot/interference fit with the dropout to make them stiffer. For those old enough to remember like the Pace Carbon hubs of old. I am also guessing that they will probably work with regular 100mm hubs too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    On of the lads at work went on SRAM training today. All carbon uppers, 29" wheel only and 28mm axle were the things he mentioned. £1400 RRP

29er only? New technology for dying technology! 1400! I'll skip that then thanks.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001

29er only? New technology for dying technology! 1400! I'll skip that then thanks.

I dont think the 29er is going to die any time soon plus RS will almost certainly do 650B and 26er versions. 1400 is 1000 more than I would spend on a fork but if the fork works magnesium or carbon reinforced magnesium versions will probably be on next years bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    benpinnick wrote:
    Im guessing the extra 10 mm in the hub is a 5mm slot/interference fit with the dropout to make them stiffer.

Like this 8) :
    file.php?id=8309
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I dont think the 29er is going to die any time soon plus RS will almost certainly do 650B and 26er versions

If this is actually a lightweight XC fork (becoming less likely it seems), then I don't reckon they'll do a 26" one.
  • stubs
    njee20 wrote:
    I dont think the 29er is going to die any time soon plus RS will almost certainly do 650B and 26er versions

If this is actually a lightweight XC fork (becoming less likely it seems), then I don't reckon they'll do a 26" one.

The internet seems to say its a Marathon fork. No idea what a Marathon fork is.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    c120mm lightweight fork I'd say. Bit longer than an XC race fork, but similar heritage.
  • stubs
    njee20 wrote:
    c120mm lightweight fork I'd say. Bit longer than an XC race fork, but similar heritage.

Got you I was confused because the European idea of a marathon bike seems to be different to a US marathon bike. MTBiking is getting worse for niches we should all go back to Penny Farthings.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    stubs wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

The internet seems to say its a Marathon fork. No idea what a Marathon fork is.

An older version of a Snickers fork?
  • njee20
    stubs wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Got you I was confused because the European idea of a marathon bike seems to be different to a US marathon bike.

Does it? I thought they were much the same, like I say, marginally longer travel XC race bikes. The lines have blurred a little because most XC race bikes are a little more slack and relaxed these days anyway.
  • stubs
    njee20 wrote:
    Does it? I thought they were much the same, like I say, marginally longer travel XC race bikes. The lines have blurred a little because most XC race bikes are a little more slack and relaxed these days anyway.

From what I can gather on the internet a euro type marathon bike is 140mm and a bit relaxed what I would call a trail bike. US seems to be shorter more a burly XC race bike. I am confused by all the niches appearing now what is the difference between and Enduro bike and an all mountain bike apart from the stickers and what the hell is hardcore XC :?
  • njee20
    Aah, fair enough. I'm struggling to think of an example of a specific marathon bike, but something along the lines of the Spark from a couple of years ago is what I tend to think of - 115mm rear, 120mm front, 2.25" tyres, 180mm rotor etc, just a little step up from the generic whittled down XC Race bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stubs wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

From what I can gather on the internet a euro type marathon bike is 140mm and a bit relaxed what I would call a trail bike. US seems to be shorter more a burly XC race bike. I am confused by all the niches appearing now what is the difference between and Enduro bike and an all mountain bike apart from the stickers and what the hell is hardcore XC :?

Hardcore xc is another name for aggressive xc. And I would have thought the difference between enduro and all mountain is obvious.
    I could explain it all in more detail but im sure you wouldn't understand.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    And I would have thought the difference between enduro and all mountain is obvious.

Really? In terms of the bikes, I think a lot of folk would disagree. I'm not even sure where trail bikes stop and AM bikes start, never mind where enduro bikes fit in the middle. :roll: I think what MTB really needs is a few more arbitrary marketing niches - there's not nearly enough of them yet...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You would be surprised how fragile normal lowers can be. I have seen a few torn open in crashes.
  • benpinnick
    The US would qualify a Spec Epic as a marathon bike, whereas a Stumpy (HT) would be XC.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Spesh themselves have worked hard to tout it as an XC race bike though, I think more like the Epic Evo as a marathon bike, which is ironic, actually your average XC race is more technical than your average marathon and more suspension and what not would probably be more handy there!
  • benpinnick
    True indeed. I think the Epic evo is infact called the Marathon in the US.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    The Epic (and SJ HT) Marathon is, and always has been, the model down from the S-Works. Comp/Elite/Expert/Pro/Marathon/S-Works, admittedly some monikers have come and gone, but Evo was discreet. In fact it was an Epic Evo Expert technically.

Interestingly they don't seem to have an Evo Epic anymore (in the US at least), there's a SJ HT Evo which gains knobblier tyres and 1x10. I guess the World Cup Epic is the more 'hard core' variant now, albeit going the other way to the Evo.

Anyway, getting into the semantics of bike types, no more on the RS-1!?
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    This picture from the recent Guide brake launch seems to have slipped past people:

1395761947394-2q5gp26aqvnw-800-75.jpg

Looks like something called "predictive steering", whatever that is, but the axle certainly looks like a 15mm to me, rather than over size. Rebound dial also seems to be on the opposite side to other RS forks.
  • njee20
    Ooo, good spot, did miss that.

However that it's fitted with Guide brakes reinforces that it's not an ultra lightweight XC fork. Boooo :-(
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    MMM guide brakes... make me dribble.

Not a huge fan of shimano stoppers personally, they are powerful but a bit to grabby and sharp for my taste prefer a smoother modulated brake so these could be a real winner for me.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    Ooo, good spot, did miss that.

However that it's fitted with Guide brakes reinforces that it's not an ultra lightweight XC fork. Boooo :-(

I can't work out what it's for tbh. Initially I thought XC fork, then the first pic I posted all the bikes had Hans Dampfs on, which indicate a burly bike, but then the bikes look like Epics/Cambers and it doesn't look like it has a huge amount of travel... Contradicting the xc theory further are the roam wheels and guide brakes... So it doesn't have enough travel to be classed as "long travel" yet the other parts on the bike are in keeping with the tougher theme.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    What are the stanchions 32mm?
  • njee20
    We're led to believe as much yep.

I reckon 140mm 'trail' fork. Revelation replacement/comparator. Admittedly the stantion look on the short side for that though.
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:
    We're led to believe as much yep.

I reckon 140mm 'trail' fork. Revelation replacement/comparator. Admittedly the stantion look on the short side for that though.

I think this is what's so confusing. It doesn't look like a trail fork, yet the bikes it's appeared on are set up more towards trail/am than XC. I also can't see trail riders wanting a carbon fork, especially if it costs as much as people say it will. A more sensible fork for trail riders would be a shorter travel Pike, which is what they're being given, afaik new air springs are going to made available soon for 130mm 650b and 140mm 26" Pikes. I presume it'll also fit 29er Pikes as well, giving around 110mm travel.
  • njee20
    I also can't see trail riders wanting a carbon fork, especially if it costs as much as people say it will

Revelation World Cup...

Can't see why folk would have a specific aversion to carbon, and it's a top end fork, there's always a market albeit a small one.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    njee20 wrote:
    I also can't see trail riders wanting a carbon fork, especially if it costs as much as people say it will

Revelation World Cup...

Can't see why folk would have a specific aversion to carbon, and it's a top end fork, there's always a market albeit a small one.

Yeah but if they are going for a small market it seems wierd that they would kind of repeat the whole "RS1 - a revelation for the mtb world" when really its a revelation for a very small part of the mtb world
  • lawman
    njee20 wrote:

Revelation World Cup...

They might make a fork that already uses carbon, but whether they actually sell any is a different matter. I don't think it's an aversion with carbon, but the cost associated. Rumours are this fork is gonna be between $1000-1500, which is a whole chunk of change. Racers might be willing to spend that for the weight saving, but if it is aimed towards trail riders, I can see them taking a Revelation or Pike any day.