Cranks spin but don't engage

Monkeyrick
Monkeyrick Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
My mate was out earlier Today and his cranks didn't engage for a brief spell, they then started to work again.

The cranks, and cassette span but the back wheel was not spinning. He pulled the bike over to the side and, when he span the cranks again, it was fine. Strangely, the bike was then fine for the rest of the trip.

I'm kind of guessing that this means there is a problem with the free hub bearings, however I've never experienced this problem before, and don't understand why it would disengage, and then engage itself again.

Does anyone have any experience of this?
If it is the freehub, do I need a different tool to replace it (I have a few different cassette locking tools etc)?
If it is the freehub, can it be tightened up?
If it's not the freehub, what is it?

Thanks in advance,
Monkey Rick

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Stuck pawls, try dripping some thin oil into the hub. At the spoke end.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pawls as above.
    Take the freehub off and clean/lube it.
    In answer to your specific questions:
    No.
    Not as such.
    Not much else it can be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cool, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    Pawls it is then.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    What hub is it? Some are easy to clean and re-lube, some aren't.
  • Not sure without looking. It's actually a specialized Allez road bike, according to the spec the hub is forged aluminium, double-sealed 32h (not very specific). I put it on the mtb part of the forum cos you guys are usually faster to reply :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Monkeyrick wrote:
    I put it on the mtb part of the forum cos you guys know about mechanical things
    FTFY

Probably a generic one then (if it's not generic they'd name it!), Formula or Joytech would be the favourites.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.