GT85 for stuck trigger shifters?

norakay
norakay Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in The workshop
Hi. One of my trigger shifters is stuck. The advice I got online suggests first using a solvent to free up the shifter and then a lubricant.

What I'm wondering is if I can use only GT85 for this. I know it's a lubricant, but is it also a solvent?

Thanks for any advice.

cheers,
Nora

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would be opening them up and seeing what the problem is.

As if it is stuck I would guess it is something a bit more serious.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    GT85 is the answer no matter what the question is.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    As nicklouse said, open it up. It's only (usually) 3 screws or so.

I reckon you're more likely to find it's not the shifter that's stuck, and once you remove the cable it'll work fine.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    I used WD40 for that exact purpose on a friends bike that had been stuck in a shed for years. Before starting there was zero movement in the shifter. Post application (and a lot of wiggling) they got full movement back.
  • Adrian Waine
    Adrian Waine Posts: 284
    When you say "stuck" do you mean won't move, or won't select a gear properly.
    If the latter, I had similar problems. It was the ratchet which had stuck because the grease had hardened.
    I took the cover off the bottom of the shifter (no springs under this bit) and freed it off with GT85. A drop of light oil and all was - and still is - well.
    If it's the former, the other posts have covered this. Could it be that your cable has rusted up big time?
    Good luck!
    Adrian W.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup GT will do the job and smells nicer than WD. Allow to dry then pop some oil or spray grease in there.

Also check, as above, the cable and give a once over to see if there is any other gunk in there that may be causing the issue.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.