Titanium road bike wanted

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I really fancy a titanium bike. For the comfort, the brushed metal finish with no garey logos. Very simple really, just black and brushed metal throughout, rather like this.

CBOOPICKRIV_P1.jpg

The problem with this one is the gearing as it's a cyclocross. I'd also prefer to have 700x28 rubber. But I like the disk brakes, I much prefer them to rim brakes.

The majority of its use will be commuting (c. 9 miles each way), with the odd long ride thrown in with friends. I don't intend to race with it.

Love the new Kinesis Ti and have also looked at Enigma's range. Like both of these. A lot.

Problem is I don't really want to spend upwards of £1,500 now, although I would like to be able to upgrade bit by bit.

Anyone got any suggestions or advice please?

Comments

• vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Van nicholas mistral is 1500. No disc brakes but the swisstop pads and apex are v good at stopping me and I'm sure not light! Super comfy ride.
  • joelsim
    Cheers, will have a look.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Buy a custom frame direct from China for £500 - the same factories that the likes of Van Nicholas and Planet-X buy from in Xiamen. Get exactly what you want for third/half of the price. More inspiration here (plus one of mine):
    http://www.spanner.org.uk/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Another vote for van nickolas. Love mine, paid just over £1500 for it last year.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Van Nicholas with Rival, link below.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXTIPRIV ... -road-bike
  • joelsim
    It's a thought Monty
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    If you are after a 57cm frame someone in my club is selling what looks to be an immaculate Enigma
  • joelsim
    I'm going to buy it new as I'm buying it through my company for obvious reasons, but thanks for letting me know.

The Planet X Pro looks great, going to have a good look at that.

I use SRAM double-tap currently, how much better is Ultegra?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Have to considered steel?

Volare 853 maybe
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The best thing you could do is go and see Jim Walker at Enigma and ride a ti bike or two. Then make your mind up. Have you ridden a ti bike? You may not even like the ride, I certainly don't like the feel of ti, steel is much more responsive imo.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'm going to buy it new as I'm buying it through my company for obvious reasons, but thanks for letting me know.

The Planet X Pro looks great, going to have a good look at that.

I use SRAM double-tap currently, how much better is Ultegra?

As good as but not better than Rival IMO, just different changing technique. BTW I have SRAM on my main bike.
  • joelsim
    giant man wrote:
    The best thing you could do is go and see Jim Walker at Enigma and ride a ti bike or two. Then make your mind up. Have you ridden a ti bike? You may not even like the ride, I certainly don't like the feel of ti, steel is much more responsive imo.

I haven't. The main thing I want is comfort on my commute. I don't fling around on bikes. What is going to be the best on the dreadful roads in London?