Campagnolo, taking the plunge!!

neilr4
neilr4 Posts: 161
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Been riding on Dura ace since I started riding in 1989, always found it easy to use and never had any issues with quality/reliability.

Going to build a new bike this year and strongly thinking of crossing to the campagnolo camp.

From research I've more or less settled on Chorus seeing it's rated at similar quality/price as Dura ace though of course any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Neil.
'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Couple of things to consider (you probably already have!).

1. Are you keeping your existing bike with DA groupo?

2. Have you any experience using Campy shifters?

Re first point, I ended up with a DA equipped bike for commuting and a SR groupo on my best bike. They both work great but occasionally I mix the two shift systems up! The other aspect is spares - different brake blocks, cassettes and chains adds complication where it could have been avoided sticking to one make.

Re second point, if you haven't, it would be ideal to have a decent ride or two on a Campy fitted bike to confirm to yourself that you like the lever action and use of a thumb shift.

If you are still set on Campy (I happen to prefer the shift action) I would suggest that Record is the comparator of DA. I have super record on my best bike but my next bike build will have record - I just don't believe that the additional premium is warranted to save a few grammes.

Peter
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    northpole wrote:

Re second point, if you haven't, it would be ideal to have a decent ride or two on a Campy fitted bike to confirm to yourself that you like the lever action and use of a thumb shift.

If you are still set on Campy (I happen to prefer the shift action) I would suggest that Record is the comparator of DA. I have super record on my best bike but my next bike build will have record - I just don't believe that the additional premium is warranted to save a few grammes.

Peter

I think the OP is correct in his assessment... Chorus is where the technology is without the nonsense... Record = Chorus + some wasted money

Re: the thumb shift... he will get used to it... like everything, it's not difficult to use and anyone will get used to it after couple of rides
    left the forum March 2023
  • neilr4
    northpole wrote:
    Couple of things to consider (you probably already have!).

1. Are you keeping your existing bike with DA groupo?

2. Have you any experience using Campy shifters?

Re first point, I ended up with a DA equipped bike for commuting and a SR groupo on my best bike. They both work great but occasionally I mix the two shift systems up! The other aspect is spares - different brake blocks, cassettes and chains adds complication where it could have been avoided sticking to one make.

Peter

Thanks for the replies guys!

Have DA 9 speed group on bike which I intend to use solely for commuting and winter riding, I'll just change the freewheel body from my Kysriums over to campag and get some cheap wheels with shimano body for commuter bike so all parts/bikes will be seperate.

I've checked out comparison shimano/campagnolo and Chorus equivalent is DA with Rec and Super Rec just lighter and using more exotic materials which for me are a little OTT.

I've only tried the shifters in a local bike shop, thumb lever will take a little getting used to. The ergopower needs a little more effort to change than STI's but hey I feel like I've finally reached maturity by changing to campag :D:D:D
  • northpole
    Re: the thumb shift... he will get used to it... like everything, it's not difficult to use and anyone will get used to it after couple of rides

Perhaps. The human body/ spirit gets used to near enough anything, but I don't think that's the point when you're referring to a recreational activity about which a large part is enjoyment (Hopefully!). Some people have a problem with the thumb shift - particularly those who ride on the drops alot. Also, some people have a strong preference for one shape of ergo hood over the other - a place my hands spend a large proportion of time during a ride. Me, I prefer the thumb shift, but one rule does not apply to all and I would rather have a preference than just get used to it.

Not trying to put the OP off, just noting points worth thinking about before taking the plunge.

Peter
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    northpole wrote:

Perhaps. The human body/ spirit gets used to near enough anything, but I don't think that's the point when you're referring to a recreational activity about which a large part is enjoyment (Hopefully!). Some people have a problem with the thumb shift - particularly those who ride on the drops alot. Also, some people have a strong preference for one shape of ergo hood over the other - a place my hands spend a large proportion of time during a ride. Me, I prefer the thumb shift, but one rule does not apply to all and I would rather have a preference than just get used to it.

Not trying to put the OP off, just noting points worth thinking about before taking the plunge.

Peter

I do ride on the drops most of the time and yes, the thumb shift can be a bit trickier and almost impossible on the cobbles... but they are details... even Shimano full whacks to shift UP are hardly ideal from the drops. I think the OP wants a Campagnolo fitted bike and Chorus is the most sensible high end groupset as he correctly points out.
    Testimony is the fact that you don't see many Chorus around and knowing people only buy bullsxxt, it makes perfect sense... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • neilr4

I do ride on the drops most of the time and yes, the thumb shift can be a bit trickier and almost impossible on the cobbles... but they are details... even Shimano full whacks to shift UP are hardly ideal from the drops. I think the OP wants a Campagnolo fitted bike and Chorus is the most sensible high end groupset as he correctly points out.
    Testimony is the fact that you don't see many Chorus around and knowing people only buy bullsxxt, it makes perfect sense... :wink:
    ''

Thank you :D
  • northpole
    neilr4,

The important thing is that you make a decision you are happy with. Seems you are there. Let us know how you get on.

Peter
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If you can't operae a simple button,then it's doubtful whether you have the requisite motor skills needed to ride a bicycle. You will just adapt to it. It's not something i would worry about.
  • northpole
    Garry H wrote:
    If you can't operae a simple button,then it's doubtful whether you have the requisite motor skills needed to ride a bicycle. You will just adapt to it. It's not something i would worry about.

Helpful comment. Not.

Some people prefer Campagnolo; others prefer Shimano; some even prefer Sram. They could all engage their skill sets and use any of the above. But you know what? They don't. Why? Often because they have a preference. Not because they only know how to use one. They prefer one over the others. If they are lucky, they will have tried some out to help decide which they prefer rather than somehow accept their fate in the knowledge that they can overcome a button where they may otherwise prefer there to be no button, or to rest their hands on ergos which don't quite suit their hands the way another manufacturer's might. Try before you buy. Simples.

Anyway decision has been made. Apologies for this response to the last post which I find inane.

Peter
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Chorus is the go too group. Since the 11 speed cassette has the same spacing for SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, it at least means you could stick with Shimano rear wheels, if that helps. Don't know anything about 9 speed 11 speed freehub compatabilty
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Being able to comfortably operate the thumb shifters from the drops is largely a function of bar shape and lever positioning. People who have problems often have the levers mounted too high on the bars.
  • Anyone tried EPS yet,? I use Di2 and changing from any hand position is easier as it`s simply touching a button.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have sram red on my winter bike and campagnolo on my summer bike, and it does not take long to adjust
    from changing from one to the other.
    You wont regret campag go for it.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Anyone tried EPS yet,? I use Di2 and changing from any hand position is easier as it`s simply touching a button.
    I have eps and its amazing so can change easy in the drops
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I spend most of a ride on the drops on my race bike and funnily enough I have no issue using the thumb shifter. I have shimano DA 8 speed on another bike, down tubes shifter on another three and you know what I can switch between all three. The only shifters that do confuse me are SRAM no matter how many times I ride I always mess up a shift.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've been riding with combined brake/shifters since the mid 90s, but I still occasionally drop my hand to where the down tube shifters should be. The only Campagnolo I ride is with with down tube shifters, but I did borrow a friend's bike with Sora once, and got use to the thumb shifting within minutes.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Most people can easily use any system, it's not hard, they're all designed for changing gears and changing gears is what you do with them. Saying that, some people can drive for years and years and still can't park a car and some people can't cook a pizza without burning it. If you're not one of those kinds of people and you don't think a particular make's hoods feel weird, then you can pick anything and use it.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Chorus is a good choice. I've just transfered a used 11 speed Chorus groupset onto a new frame. Everything looks and works like new, as does the 10 speed Chorus (c.10 years old) on my other bike. Keep it clean and change chain, casette and brake blocks when they're worn and it will work like new for years. Despite what others might say I found the 11 speed rear mech very easy to set up, easier than 9 or 10.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got Campag 11sp Super Record (with Chorus cassette, Record chain) and love it, I also have Veloce 10sp shifters on my 7sp winter bike and they feel much the same as the Super Record, although shifting functionality isn't as good. Chorus is definately the best "value" high end group set and I'd buy Chorus for another road bike, no question.

Two things I love about the Campag setup:
    - the feel of the shifters
    - the multi-shift (ultrashift) functionality

Is Chorus a good choice? No, its an excellent choice :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava