Decent disc brake frameset for self build

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have no bike maintenance experience at all other than cleaning the drivetrain and fixing punctures but I have decided to self build a winter bike as a project for fun and to learn how to maintain my own bikes.

The bike won't be raced but will be used for anything from pottering to the shops to long road rides to riding canal paths, dirt tracks and gravel trails. To that end I am looking for a decent alloy or possibly titanium road/CX frame which can take disc brakes, 32mm tyres, mudguards and a pannier rack. Initially I will put 11-speed Ultegra on it with a compact chainset with the aim of swapping that groupset onto my main bike once I am comfortable with how to do it.

I don't have a budget in mind, I'm more interested in getting a reasonably light, strong, comfortable frame. That said this will be a second bike so I don't want to throw money at it unnecessarily.

I've looked at suitable framesets on the web but the choice is simply bewildering, does anybody have any recommendations for a suitable frameset or for webites where I can easily compare multiple framesets?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Genesis croix de Fer, look no further

11757-34280-main--185.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 (I'm a bit bias) or the Planet X Flanders (carbon) looks good.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I would echo the Crosslight pro6. It replaced this...
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOPO135/ ... mine-frame,
    which i also liked but the frame was too small for me. In fact I still have it if you are interested. I was supposed to use it as a base for a build for my 15 yr old son but he is now taller than me! A medium in white.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The Croix der fer would be my choice too for that tyre width. Chinese CX frame would also work. Just ordered a road disc frame for my wife (chinese) I am sure it will be fine.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    I love my Croix de Fer. It has done everything- commuting, touring, off road, transporting my son on his seat, winter duties and the odd sportive. My only wish is that I bought it as a frame and built it up
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Genesis croix de Fer, look no further

11757-34280-main--185.jpg

You can close the thread now
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    s/hand Carpe Diem ti
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • chip42
    chip42 Posts: 145
    Malcolm, will that be an FR-320 frame you've ordered for your wife?
    Andy
  • Has to be the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6. It's much lighter than the heavy Genesis CDF. I've ran my Crosslight with 50mm mudguards and 30 mm ice spiker tyres no problem so 32 mm slicks will be fine.
  • fatdaz
    Thanks for all of the replies folks. I think I have settled on the Croix de Fer. I now need to do some research on brakes

Thanks
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you change your mind on the Croix de Fer, I would look at the Surly Straggler.

Costs around the same but a lot more frame options, the frame sizes at least suit me a lot better and as a bonus it can fit much larger tyres.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Something from left field - Volagi Viaje: without doubt what I'd buy
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    WyndyMilla told me that they're developing a disc brake Johnny Cake for another Transcontinental rider. Might be worth shooting them a message to see if they're going to make it available.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Something from left field - Volagi Viaje: without doubt what I'd buy

I had a look and it indeed looks great, but the frame costs upwards of £1k and it has no clear advantages from the Surly or the Croix de Fer apart from a carbon fork.

In fact it has a press fit BB which some would say is a downgrade for a bike that is going to spend some time in the mud and dirt.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2014
    fatdaz wrote:
    Thanks for all of the replies folks. I think I have settled on the Croix de Fer. I now need to do some research on brakes

Thanks

If using drop bars I'd say TRP Hy/ Rd - they're what I use.
  • fatdaz
    Thanks - I'd come to the same conclusion after a couple of hours of internet research last night
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd go for a kinesis decade tripster myself - even more versatile than the genesis & lighter. The pro 6 also looks good.

See: http://road.cc/content/review/59634-kin ... e-and-fork

and

http://vimeo.com/27292534 (video)
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I want to do a very similar thing, disks and 28 tyres, mainly for commuting.

I've sent an email to Planet X as I really fancy the Ti Pro SRAM but seeing if they can change the brakes/wheels. I'll keep you posted on what they say.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Im looking for a used CX bike. Am thinking about buying a cheap used hybrid with discs and fitting drop handlebars and new shifters etc, has anyone ever seen or done this?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Marcusww wrote:
    Im looking for a used CX bike. Am thinking about buying a cheap used hybrid with discs and fitting drop handlebars and new shifters etc, has anyone ever seen or done this?

I did think about it, but saw a used Boardman CX Pro and bought it. I would keep an eye out for the right used CX bike.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Funnily enough the boardmans caught my eye on the cx side, good value for money. But seem few and far between so am considering the hybrid with drops, did you look into the geometry whilst considering it. The Top Tube centre to centre on Hybrids seem to be long - or am I not comparing them correctly - from the boardman website.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Boardman top tubes are a little longer - 555mm on my medium CX compared to 545mm on the Rourke but with a more relaxed seat tube angle its actually only 5mm longer in practice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava