Knee problems Hoffa's Fat Pad

waughie
waughie Posts: 180
edited March 2014 in Health, fitness & training
I have been having a problem with my knee since October, on my commute home I had a crippling pain in my right knee, it was so bad I couldn't pedal. The pain was so bad I coHyper trophic inflamed hoffas fat pad. ldn't even pedal with my left leg and just let my right follow the pedal round, Long story short I ended up having to be picked up by the girlfriend.

I rested up for 2 weeks and went out again on the mtb. I made it a mile before the pain came back. I rested and iced for another 6 weeks tried again and the pain was still there. I went to see my gp who referred me to physio. He prescribed support insoles, leg exercises, more ice and stretching. This made things worse over the Christmas break. Finally in early February I managed to get on the bike and ride up a hill with no immediate pain, however there was still some discomfort by the time I got home.

Last week I got sent for an MRI finally after the physio said he couldn't do anything else for me. The results came through today and the results are I have something called Hyper trophic inflamed hoffas fat pad and I am being referred to the hospital for an arphroscopy.

Has anyone else been through similar, and got any experience of the procedure?

Comments

• spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    I had arthroscopy on both knees to try and find out what was causing me pain while running and riding. Was fairly straight forward and I was out the same day. It took a good few weeks if not months to recover and all they did was have a look round in my knees.

In the end, my arthroscopies turned out to be a waste of time. My problem was caused by ITB issues that were resolved by a good sports therapist.

Before you go under the knife, I would get a second opinion from a different Physio. It will be well worth the investment if they can resolve the issue without surgery.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    Just hit google to see what the hoffas pad is. Looks like there are plenty of non-surgical options that have hot to be worth a go first.