Wheel flexing to left when compressing forks

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I've had a quick search around and trying to work out this out

Rockshox SID RLT 120 26 inch dt Swiss x430 on one hubs qr. Newish bike hardly used, second hand steal!

Standing in my garage this evening trying to work out why the rotor was rubbing the pad, then decided to compress the forks standing over the bike, the front wheel moves left about 12 mm! There's the problem. I don't think it's the forks, they seem pretty stiff, the wheel is located in the dropouts firmly and qr is tight, hope qr so can't Imagine and issue there.

Is the wheel likely to be out of tension, possibly dished, i checked all the spokes were tight, but that's as far as I can go with wheels. Wheel does sit central within fork at rest.

The rear rotor also runs the pads but it as bad and its harder to tell and simulate the same issue on the front wheel, it also appears central between rear legs.

Taking this into account is this just a cheap wheel set issue or is a trip to the lbs in order, would I be best to take the bike or just the wheels?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The rotor is connected to the hub, so unless that's moving, movement at the rim shouldn't cause it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    A while back my front wheel was rocking when I pulled the brake and tried pushing the bike back and forth. The bearings in the wheel hub had gone and needed replacing.

Try putting a different wheel on the forks to confirm whether it is your wheel or the forks.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Try putting a different wheel on the forks to confirm whether it is your wheel or the forks.

Best thing to do at this point.
  • I had a very similar issue with my front wheel with 100mm 2013 Reba solo air forks, which became apparent when I increased my front rotor to 180mm. I would not rule out the QR just yet. I believe the Hope qr's are external cam types, and after some research I changed mine over to Shimano (internal cam) qr and the issue disappeared. It was almost as if the brakes were pulling the wheel from out of the drop outs under the increased braking forces and causing it to move to the left, despite the external cam qr being done up ridiculously tight. Have a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html. This might not be the answer for you, but maybe worth a quick try as it has definitely resolved my problem.