Dura spd sl cleats

marcusww
marcusww Posts: 202
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Has anyone tried or got experience of the dura spd sl cleats? Living on a stoney drive and paths I eat though cleats, a pair every 5 months or so.these dura ones on ebay are half the price?

Comments

• So buy a pair and if they last longer than 2.5 months you are winning. Personally if they only lasted 5 months I would switch to spd shoes and cleats as they last forever.
  • Use some cleat covers..
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    Either put your shoes on at the end of your drive, use cleat covers, or put some stepping stones in the gravel. I did number 3 :)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Could it be that you're making more of the damage to the cleat than there really is. I use DA cleats and while I don't walk around on gravel constantly I do walk around during rest stops or food breaks. The cleats seem to scratch easily and don't look the greatest(on the surface)but the areas that actually interface with the pedal stay in real good shape as they are not so exposed. Just a thought.
  • marcusww
    So these are the ones, would be interested if anyone has tried them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Useful-Ro ... 3386809cdf

Cleat covers are too much hassle / fixing the drive - (wife would not be impressed)

they still work when the yellow has worn but ice skating on tarmac is not my strong point!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Not sure what you guys do with your cleats, but deffo should spend more time on the pedals and less at the cafe'. My SPD-SL normally last a couple of years, covering around 14-15 K miles, including a lot of urban commuting.
    left the forum March 2023
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not sure what you guys do with your cleats, but deffo should spend more time on the pedals and less at the cafe'. My SPD-SL normally last a couple of years, covering around 14-15 K miles, including a lot of urban commuting.

You make a good point. Maybe these guys see a little scratch or nick and sort of freak out.
    Not unlike people who see a small scratch on their frame and start to wonder if it will soon fall apart. :roll:
  • marcusww
    With a stoney (sharp cotswold type) drive and paths to bike sheds its just impossible to keep the cleats in good order for more than 6/12 months. Maybe I should crawl only the paths with my bike on my back!

As no one seems to have an opinion on the cheapo cleats I will just have to suck it and see!
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Marcusww wrote:
    So these are the ones, would be interested if anyone has tried them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Useful-Ro ... 3386809cdf

Cleat covers are too much hassle / fixing the drive - (wife would not be impressed)

they still work when the yellow has worn but ice skating on tarmac is not my strong point!
    I use those cleats. Just replaced a pair that lasted a couple of years. They were still working but very worn - didn't want to risk a failure.