Mega TR Sizing

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right, I know there are plenty of you who own said bike and was wondering how you find the sizing? Some say Nukeproof's are tiny (and I admit the old Mega was) but others say they are pretty normal. At 5'11" with a 33" inside leg I'm looking to get the large frame.

I've also heard the stock tune on the Monarch isn't the best for larger riders. Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't really matter if that's the case because my old RP23 will fit but would still be nice to know.

Comments

• gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I am riding a size larger than normal, but you need to sit on one to be sure. Im 15 stone and have no issues with the rear shock
  • peter413
    Sitting on one isn't an option hence why I'm asking. I've already been comparing the geometry charts with my current bike so have a decent idea of how it should size up, just wanted some opinions from others.
  • i/m 6-2 ish, and bought an XL AM frame.... purely because i would have been close on max seatpost extension on a large.

I would imagine you would fit good on a large. i sometimes wonder wether it would have worked for me!

as for the monarch... i weigh 17st.. so a bit more in riding gear, and i have my 2013 model at max pressure to get about 26/27% sag.

so far, i havent really had any problems with it, but im not exactly a suspension guru! it does seem softer on the back compared to the pikes i have upfront. i have had the air can off though and added a peice of inner tube inside (the budget version of RS's own tune kit) it does seem to have made the shock more progressive.

as i understand, the 2014 versions of these shocks have a better tune to help this!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im 6'1" and have an XL. Mostly to get the seat post height but also for an xl the top tube is quite short.
    Im 14 stone and find the shock a little wallowy in the mid stroke when pushed but it can be tuned out by TF Tuned, a mate has had it done. Other than that I actually prefer it to my old RP23.
    Great bike, really fun ride. Loves to be abused but can cover big miled easily and climbs really well, I rarely use the pedal setting on the shock.
  • peter413
    I'm a little over 100 kg and hate wallowy feeling suspension so looks like I'll be fitting my RP23. No way can I afford a custom tune on top of the frame. Currently riding a 17" Wolf Ridge so the seat post doesn't worry me, just the reach. The Marin has always been a little short for my liking.
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I'm 6ft with short legs, so normally ride a Med 17" bike. This one is a large or 18"

Again I'm no suspension guru but I am a hard rider and I have no issues.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My mate has a TR - he is 5'7" and got a Medium, I'm 5'6 and rode his bike and figured I'd go for the Small. He rode a Medium Trance before, his GF a small Trance and I preferred the small Trance too. My own bikes are all small too. I think someone told him to go for the bigger size but not sure they were right. Sizing charts indicate a small would work for both of us.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.