Anybody have Foruma RO disc brakes?

Terrytibbs
Terrytibbs Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I fitted my new ROs today with Formula rotors and by eck the pads aren't half close to the rotor. When I mean close I basically mean it's impossible to set them up without them rubbing. There's probably about 1mm of gap in total (0.5mm for each side).

I heard the pads are close to the rotor but wasn't expecting them to be so close they rubbed.

I've tried a few things, doing the whole letting a bit of oil out then re setting the pistons but that hasn't helped and I don't want to remove too much oil.

Basically just wondering what other people's experience of them are like? I might have to ride them a bit to bed the pads in and hope they even off a bit and stop rubbing, but I'm not holding my hopes up.

The rubbing barely slows the wheel down by the way. The brakes haven't been used yet so the rubbing doesn't do much, but when they bed in and if they continue to rub, I'm sure it'll have some effect on my rolling.

I just expected something better from £480 brakes + hardware.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Bed them in they'll be fine.My Formula Mega pads run a lot closer than my HopeTech M4s.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So have gone and bedded then in yet? No so go and do so.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    So have gone and bedded then in yet? No so go and do so.

Usually, I'd expect the bedding in to sort out a bit of rubbing but when the pads are so so close, I'm not totally confident of it. Bit hit or miss whether to use them and find out or just simply send them back, so thought I'd ask people who use them of their experience of them first.

Thanks though and ta Iboo.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've never had any issues with my R0 pads rubbing, they don't seem closer than any other brakes i've ever had either
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    formula brakes do tend to have pads closer to the disc, say compated to Shimano and possible Avids.

This is a bit of a pain when the disc rotor is slightly out, usually worse on alloy carriers. What I tend to do is use my hands to bend the disc to get rid of the side-to-side high spots, a time consuming process.