2005ish fox 36 fork questions

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Picking up a fox 36 front fork over the weekend. I think it's the 2005 model. Details are sketchy at best. Pretty sure they're these tho...

Fox Float 36 R TALAS 100-150mm fork: http://youtu.be/Ray9eAOsXOc

Skip to 1min 28.

Basically, they have a blue turn dial to adjust travel, but doesn't look very easy to operate when riding, if possible at all. Can they be upgraded to a slicker/newer version with lockout-type quick adjuster?

Cheers
Rick

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You have read the user guide?

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/ ... _36_en.pdf

But I would wait untill you get the fork and check what it is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rickbst170
    Thanks nicklouse. 3.5 full rotations when riding along of a fiddley little adjuster seems, well, fiddley. Was wondering if there is an adaptor which adjusts the full range from 3.5 turns to 0.5 or 0.75 turns. No idea how it works though, so not sure if it's possible to "gear" the adjuster differently.

You're right though, I should wait to see what I end up with. As long as the owner doesn't sell them before I collect on Sunday I'll have my frame and forks sorted. Good start to the project!
  • rickbst170
    So...here is a pic of what I've got. Someone picked them up for me and the only photo I have is from the back. They can send me more later but thwyre busy atm (and have already gone far enough out their way for me today).

fox-20140321-173023.jpg

So what do you think they are? My best guess is 2005/06 talas based on the blue adjuster.
  • rickbst170
    Just got a pic through from my mate who has them at the minute.

IMAG0289-20140323-182112.jpg

Also just read an old thread on pinkbike, 2010 talas internal fit to bump up the 150 travel up to 160. Anyone have any experience?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check to see they haven't cracked where the pinch bolts are - common failing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rickbst170
    Will do, thanks. Just got to wait for my engineer to be in my office now. Or ship something to the office and can put these in the box. For my bargain build I think they're spot on. Cost me way less than I'd expect. If they can be upgraded to a new talas cartridge, I'll be well chuffed. Found the upgrade kit for 2005 36's to take new 160mm float internals on mojo website. £85. I like the talas though so want to see if the new talas cartridge fits the old lower/stantions. I'll call mojo tomorrow I think.
  • rickbst170
    Spoke to mojo today, very helpful. Here's what I found.

The new (2014) TALAS cartridge does not fit straight into pre 2011 forks. There is a retrofit kit though. Any year fox 36 fork can be retrofitted.

The threads were changed in 2011 so anything before 2011 should be cross compatible, but noting later. I.e. 2010 internals fit in 2005 forks, 2012 internals do not.

2014 is talas 5, 2011-13 is talas 4, 2009-2011 is talas 3, 2007-9 is talas 2, 2005-6 is talas 1. This is from memory as my conversation was 6 hours ago, but pretty sure that's about right.

Everything except talas 5 is obsolete. No seal kits are available easily (although they do have some old bits and bobs, and were illuding to an ongoing supportability without committing to an end date).

There is a float retro available for all 36's.

CTD option came in 2011, with the thread change so again not directly retorfitable but possible.

Talas 5 cartridge kit is about £250. New lowers are about 280. New FIT cartidge not spec'ed but probably possible for around 200.

I explained my situation and reason for call, and was told that talas 1 was actually pretty bomb proof as long as the service intervals were followed. He suggested I replace wipers, they're all the same, and replace the main seals if I can get them. From memory (as no longer on system but he must have been around a while as knows the part numbers from 2005) he said he thinks the main 3 are 036-01-010, 036-01-019 and 036-01-09 or -206.

The ipf should have 150psi in, but only affects positive pressure response (or something, didn't fully understand do need to look in more detail). It wad removed in 2009 models. With it at 150, the spring response is linear. At 0psi, the response is progressive. Neither one is right or wrong, just different. If you can get pressure in it, great. If you can't, or want a progressive spring, leave empty.

For those searching the internet here are some tags.

Fox 36 talas 36r 36 talas r upgrade 36 talas replace internals 2005 talas upgrade 2006 talas

In addition, I've found well priced seal kits on locotuning.co.UK and a quick web search suggests 'he' is pretty good. Will call tomorrow as website appears to suggest they have kits for old forks available.
    P.s....
    Please, please, please read this as my interpretation of my conversation based on my circumstances. I may have interpreted some things incorrectly and I do not represent the views or service offerings of Mojo. Just dawned on me that there could be some owners out there with 4 month old forks, and I just called them obsolete. I'm sure if you need warranty work it will be provided (there's a rule regarding sale of goods and 5/7 years minimum supportability). Also, if you need seals for <2014 forks, call mojo. Incredibly helpful, knowledgeable and willing. Dont read this and think they're not available, I could be wrong. Don't want to detract any business from mojo as they were excellent on the phone.
    Thanks.

Rick.
  • rickbst170
    Collected them today. No cracks, talas knob turns, restricts to 110 when wound in, 135 when wound out. If I encourage them they'll release to 150 buy need encouraging. Feel really soft so need to put some air in them. Pretty happy though, as only seem to want seals and pressure and they'll be good as gold!
  • rickbst170
    I'm a knob. Rebound was wound all the way in. Fiddled a bit and now they open up to 150 every time, hard to drop back to 110 but do get there. now that I've pumped them a little too there is some oil on the stantions. Well chuffed.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Loco tuning are pretty good mate, after searching for an air shaft for my new revelations to reduce the travel I tried them, they sent one out the same day at a decent price, would be happy to use them again.